Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 46
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Bonavita dripper.

I used to use a French Press every morning, but then discovered the "Clever Coffee Dripper." It worked great - make a much cleaner (less grit), but full-flavored cup then french press. However, it was made of relatively thin plastic and couldn't take the heat stress and cracked. However, I discovered that Bonavita make a similar design in white porcelain - and so I got one and couldn't be happier. I used a metal filter instead of paper filters and it makes a wonderful clean tasting, full-bodied cup with no fuss. I just let the coffee steep, place the Bonavita on top of my cup, open the valve and let it drip. Wonderful and easy morning coffee.

So just because I went through most of this thread looking for it but didn't find it: Is there a good mail-order source for roasted whole beans and I don't mean S-------- crap?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Start here: http://www.home-barista.com/reviews/...12-t20955.html

And continue here: http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/

I personally like Redbird and Cafe Fresco Ambrosia.
    Jason

I just had a cup of Redbird of beans that had been in the freezer for some time and it still tasted good. Will definitely order again, but not the 5 pound bag, too much to handle for me by myself...

Stefan

I'm a big fan of Counter Culture. Tried Redbird recently and is was not my thing (I like more citrus, chocolate, etc.). But lately I've been buying locally from Swing's, as I can, uhm, swing by and pick it up.

I drink mainly counter culture as well, I do the espresso recurring order which gives a 10% discount and it usually gets here in one day since I am close to the warehouse. I will grab other brands if they are fresh at the high end grocery stores: whole foods, Earthfare etc.

Just picked up a chemex as I'm moving away from espresso (basically got a choice give up wine or espresso). Any hints on getting the best out of it? Using a Mazzer mini grinder and one of them fancy bon(whatever) kettles @ 93C, but am struggling to get a good flavour profile.

ok being a coffee nut on a budget what is the best for roasting, grinding, and brewing?

Roasting is a popcorn maker!

Grinding, buy as expensive as you can afford; it sounds strange but a uniform repeatable grind is incredibly important and will make up for a poor machine (if that is your thing). I've heard mixed reports about hario hand grinders but there are some niche makers out there that make good stuff.

If you really have to have espresso style coffee and are not prepared to drop some serious cash go nespresso until you can afford better.

Before folks get all bent out of shape a for me a good setup is an lever machine or an E61 with PID and a serious grinder like a Mazzer to get close to replicating a commercial machine. Typically that setup won't leave you much change out of $1.5K if you shop around. There are smaller machines but they suffer durability issues and never really make a good cup IMHO.

Chemex's make a good coffee and are reasonably cheap (and increasingly fashionable) go for the mid sized version. Never underestimate a stovetop Bialetti with a good grinder they do a pretty good italian style short black albeit without crema.

Moving up there is an Australian stovetop called an OTTO which is an improved Atomic that some of the coffee nerds I know (who work for roasters) like.

Just adding to the blog some more posts and finally starting off with a little introduction to my latest kitchen espresso setup. I will add in time some extra steps along the journey to the God Shot such as tampers, baskets, espresso, etc.

http://www.dersnap.com/snap-tools/ki...chine-360.html

Cheers!