Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Coffee gear and discussion thread

This isn't terribly new for me, but here's my coffee gear.

Grinder (Hario ceramic burr grinder):

Maker (Bodum vacuum):

Next step is a roaster, I suppose. One of these days.

I love my Vac pot!
    You really must start to roast your own, nothing like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    You have a roaster you recommend? I've seen some that aren't practical for me, my counters are just too cluttered as it is.
    The Behmor roaster is the size of a large toaster oven, and is the best home roaster available, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The Behmor roaster is the size of a large toaster oven, and is the best home roaster available, in my experience.
    Yeah, I want something smaller than that.

Well, I really just want a bigger kitchen with one of those in it. But you know.

Roasting in a kitchen without a serious range hood can be very smokey

We really need a coffee/gear thread. I'm not a huge coffee nerd, but I certainly appreciate a good cup of coffee. I can still stomach some office Folgers, so I'm not quite to snobbery levels yet. Right now I'm just buying bulk coffee and coarse grinding at the store and then brewing in a French press.

I know, I need a grinder but I haven't been ready to plunk down the money. I'll probably go with a manual burr grinder, I don't have the budget for a good automatic. Plus I usually only make coffee on the weekends, so the extra effort doesn't bother me.

I've also been thinking of replacing the French press, it's just a cheapy I bought for $10 at Bed Bath & Beyond. I've heard really good things about the AeroPress but I don't know much else about it. Maybe I'll look into the vacuum pot that Craig posted. Is there anything else I should look into? One of the things that draws me to the AeroPress is I've heard it's good for brewing ahead of time and then serving as iced coffee later, which I do like to drink during the summer, but I don't know much about that.

Think of the AeroPress as a one-cup French press with a really good filter. No sediment at all.

For iced coffee, I'd look into cold-brewing.

http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold...W/ref=lh_ni_t_

eBay is good for finding a smaller commercial-grade burr grinder at a substantial discount from new. Depending on your local, CraigsList can be pretty good as well. Always lots of small shops going out of business or owners retiring.

The Aeropress makes coffee concentrate, I use it to make iced coffee drinks. I use a Chemex for my drip coffee and prefer the results.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    I use a Chemex for my drip coffee and prefer the results.
    IMHO chemex is the only way to go for drip. I've never tried roasting my own - mainly because I've been spoiled with intelligentsia coffee. Family friend works there, he gets to travel to all of their farms and "check" on the beans, lucky bastard.

+ Reply to Thread