Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

I've never been a huge fan of coffee. The only way I've been able to drink most restaurants stuff is to fill it with milk and sugar. That being said, about 6 months ago, I was eating at a restaurant and had a Turkish coffee. Wow!! Never had anything taste so good that was called coffee. Since then, I've bought an Ibrik, and a small can of finely ground Turkish coffee, and now I can't get enough. Maybe I need to just try a good cup of coffee, but this has been my experience so far.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Fresh coffee is different tasting than what you find in a supermarket. Correction, quality fresh coffee. When done right, with an experienced hand, it is like wine in the type of flavors that arise. Flavors such as fruity, chocolate, caramel, tobacco, acidic, balanced, winey, and bitter. I've tasted all these. Some are bold, others taste like tea. Unfortunetely, most people are introducted to stale, bitter coffee so they assume thats what coffee tastes like. That couldn't be further from the truth.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    If anyone finds a great company selling raw beans online, with lots of experience doing bulk shipments overseas, please do give me a shout out. Would be much appreciated.
    I hear the place to go is http://www.sweetmarias.com/

just checked the temp on my water and im lower then i thouhgt guess di ll haveot have a different plan for heating my water for my arropress (yes im a cheap ass but i do at least grind my own beans by hand in a bur grinder

Second vote for the Behmor coffee roaster. I have no problem roasting indoors.
    Many say that other roasters give more control but the Behmor does roast a full pound of green at a time which is a big plus.

I dont like doing a full pound in the behmor because it roasts too slowly. I like to target 9 to 10 minutes otherwise the coffee tastes flat. In order to achieve this on the behmor I roast a quarter pound at a time.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I know it's a no-no by the warranty, but I roast 1/2 lb using the 1 lb buttons. It's true, especially after 50+ roasts, the roasts take too long. It does require cleaning, specifically the fan and heat sensor.

Also, to address a question:
    www.sweetmarias.com
    www.roastmasters.com
    www.coffeeshrub.com (for businesses, owned bye sweetmarias)

can solve your greens issue. There are others, but these are my favs.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Anyone who would like to really get to know about coffee, espresso, and gear, once again go to home-barista.com. It's the kitchenknifeforums of coffee.

Jason

used to lurk there as well at coffeegeek. so went to HB and found this:
    http://www.home-barista.com/reviews/...12-t20955.html

For those who do not roast their own beans, I would highly suggest trying Red Bird Coffee. http://redbirdcoffee.com/

I LOVE the Red Bird espresso. I've tried several different roaster the past couple years but always come back. I order 5 lbs at a time and with free shipping you can't beat the price. As soon as I get the delivery, I seal the excess in pint mason jars and freeze them. Works great through the last jar...

We should just start a coffee sub-forum here

+ Reply to Thread