Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some knife+sharpening suggestions

Nice, yes the 1k/4k available there would work just fine...I would also recommend searching out Jon Broida's (Japanese Knife Imports) sharpening videos to get you started...I believe you can find links to them here. All the knives you are looking at would be fine...the Misono might be the most fun! Agreed that 240 would be a nice size now and later.

Good luck!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Ok, those movies were super helpful, but now I gotta get a whole bunch more stuff

And so much for my $200 budget haha.

Hiromoto AS 240mm gyuto - $161
    JCK 1k/4k combo stone - $65 + $7 ship
    DMT XXC to flatten stone - $76 from amazon

Sharpen probably every 1-2 months, strop with newspaper over dry waterstone every 1-5 uses (more? less?). Maybe will buy diamond spray if newspaper isn't making it sharp enough

Sound good?

You could save money on the flattening stone if you are concerned about blowing your budget...

You can use the DMT XC to flatten (it's what I'm using now) and it'll save you $20 or so. It does get stuck to the whetstone a little more (remedied by running water while flattening) and cuts slower than the XXC though. Also I think you can save some more $$$ by getting a king stone instead of the JCK one. King stone is 1k/6k I believe.

You can get the DMT 8" XC free shipping 52.19 Amazon.JMO think a good Med. stone is all you need to start.You would save some coin & have a very good Med. in the Bester 1000 or 1200.If you get the Hiromoto either of these stones will put an excellent cutting edge on the core carbon which is very good steel.

Later after you hone your skills on the Medium grit,if you feel the need for a polishing the 5K suehiro rika is a good choice.Both of these are better than what you would get in a combo stone,last longer as well.

+1
    start with one medium stone, Bester or Chosera.

Ah, I'm not too worried about going out of budget, I kind of expected it since it always happens.

Switching from the combo block to the higher quality medium block seems worth it though. Bester 1200 seems to be more recommended than the 1000.

After looking a bunch of reviews on the DMT XC vs XXC, it doesn't look it's worth going to XC just to save $25 (longer flattening times, harder to clean, less longevity).

So:
    Hiromoto AS 240mm gyuto - $165
    Bester 1200 - $48
    DMT XXC - $76

As my little starter kit. Any last thoughts?

EDIT: stupid question, but are the hiromoto knives sold by chef knives to go the same as jck? I know sometimes same brand + model = different product at different stores.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post

So:
    Hiromoto AS 240mm gyuto - $165
    Bester 1200 - $48
    DMT XXC - $76
    I think you pretty much nailed it. The Hiromoto should be a great knife to learn to sharpen on. Once you are able to reliably get a sharp edge with the Bester 1200 you might want to take it up another notch with a good 5-8k stone.

I could also see a good petty in your future.

Congrats,
    rj

Sandman you are off to a good start.You get to experience sharpening high quality carbon steel wt. the Hiromoto.A caution it is a clad blade,so be careful not to let the stone hit the sides of the blade,save it for the bevel,if you do scratch it don't worry about it the knife will still cut fine.

The only other thing you might need is a stone holder,the one wt. the 2 rods & 3 rubber blocks.Japan woodworker sells it for 15.00.Simple design that works well.There are some good online tips for freehand sharpening.I also like Dave Martells DVD cause he tells why certain things work & some common mistakes.

Because the clad is very soft, it will scratch easily, but removing scatches is just as easy with ScotchBrite.