Quantcast
Looking for user opinions of Big Green Egg - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for user opinions of Big Green Egg

I clean the ash out with a piece of metal with a 90º bend in the end, about 4 or 5 inches worth. It is a 3 foot long strip about 3/4 inch wide and maybe 1/4 inch thick.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    What are you guys using to scoop the ashes out with I haven't been able to find anything I like? I have been taking the whole thing apart to scoop the ashes from the bottom ever couple of months. I am going to try that leablower trick thanks Duckfat.
    cheap shop vac , remove the attachement adaptor and then it will slide in between the base and the firebox and you will never have to remove the innards for cleaning .
    leaf blower is fun but messy.. cloud of dust and a hearty hi ho silver and then blow it all towards the neighbors .

Spike is talking about something like this.
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessor...ers/ash-tools/
    They are popular. Many are homemade.There are many brands and models and custom ones from the lawn ranger on the egg forums. Leaf blowers,vacuums, ash tools. Lots of different ways to handle it. Same with how to light an egg. MAPP torch, electric starter, vegetable oil and paper towels, starter cubes, etc.

Ya I have seen the ash tools but wasn't sure how well they worked. I personally use a weed burner and propane tank to light mine. That is pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Ya I have seen the ash tools but wasn't sure how well they worked. I personally use a weed burner and propane tank to light mine. That is pretty fun.
    Jealous Sounds fun.

Has anyone seen a Kamado? Costco has the "Phase 2 Ceramic Kamado grill" for $579, including trays and legs and stuff. It looks like a close copy of the large BGE. Any reports?
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    Has anyone seen a Kamado? Costco has the "Phase 2 Ceramic Kamado grill" for $579, including trays and legs and stuff. It looks like a close copy of the large BGE. Any reports?
    My take on these cheaper knock off is that you have no idea what they're made of. One would hope that they don't contain asbestos, lead or other harmful products or chemicals, but you never know.

According to the regional rep that I spoke with when I bought mine (at an Eggfest), the company that makes the ceramics for the BGE is Daltile, one of the largest manufacturers of tile products. And, according to him, the ceramics used in the BGE do not contain any asbestos. The only other company that I know of that is willing to represent that their cooker doesn't contain any asbestos is the Komodo Kamado - roughly 3 times the price of a BGE.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Ya, the price of a BGE doesn't sound so bad after you look at one of those Komodos!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Anyone planning to come to Carolina Eggfest I just bought my tickets today.

Personally, I'd be pretty comfortable with kamado offered thru Costco - their gauntlet for sourcing product is pretty brutal, not perfect, but I'd be comfortable with the health, safety and quality of their offerings. FWIW, I'm pretty sure I've seen Primo branded kamados at Costco as well.

I've owned my 'KAMADO' brand kamado for 16-17 years (?) and at the timeI'm pretty sure it was the only variant available with the mosaic tile exterior. It cost me $500 cash (for a #7 which I think is about the same size as a X-lrg BGE), and was delivered free by an employee driving from Sacramento to Anaheim to pick up supplies...from DalTile.

In those days there was a bit of a blood feud between the owner of KAMADO and BGE over who first invented vs. imported the kamados. Pretty sure some of that hasn't changed, although BGE clearly won the war.

Fortunately for me, my #7 is running strong, never had a tile fall off or anything like that. Had a bit of degredation to the firebox, but that actually improves air flow and makes clean out easier

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post