Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for user opinions of Big Green Egg

Just back from a week out at work - heck of a week. Good to be home.

Amazing responses, and not a single lukewarm one! Ok - I'll have to speak to a friend who is relocating back home to check the logistics. He gets a free shipping relocation perk - i get a BGE

I'm just concerned about size, especially for apartment use. I would love a large, but I'll see if a medium can accommodate what i'd do almost as well, and be easier to manhandle.

Odd question time - how much smoke does it output? Particularly for apartment use, I'm sure the neighbors will be more amenable if it isn't spewing large amounts of smoke all night. BBQ is one of the glories of living in the USA - here we hardly get the opportunity to do any BBQ.

Even if it is subpar - I would be glad to utilise it as a smoker if it can pass muster.

LCB - was a small thing, and thanks much for your help! All the rest, I can sense the passion for the BGE just coming off this thread!

Tristan -

Regarding your question...I can't imagine the smoke output offending anyone. Once you damper it down to the low smoking temp, you're burning very little wood at a time. One of the great features of the egg is how contained and airtight it is. By comparison, at the same temp range my Klose offset puts out a lot more smoke. Smoke is hard to see on film, so it's not a real good indicator, but there are tons of youtube videos of people doing a competition style cook with their Egg. It gives you an ideal of just how little smoke.

And for the record - I would never call it a subpar smoker. The food results are 100% the equal of any smoker. I personally think there are other options that are more user friendly for doing a long cook, but as someone above pointed out, there are many, many competition teams using the Egg.

Based on your criteria I think it's perfect for you

Agreed on all above points. Once the fire has calmed the smoke is very very mild. It will plume up when you first light it but settle after 20 minutes or so. I think you can avoid this heavy initial smoke if you invest $40 into a hand held MAPP torch at Home Depot. My understanding is these things can get an Egg ready in under 5 minutes.

Also, smoking on an Egg is absoltely not subpar. It puts out MUCH better BBQ than my dad's $3800 Fast Eddy by Cookshack, although nothing is easier to use than the Cookshack. Flavor wise it's hard to beat traditional offsets like the Klose, but that in no way implies the Egg is "subpar".

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    If I could ever resist buying knives, I might see one of these in my future.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

while i still recommend the large with the nest handler a medium probably makes more sense [which i often lack when it comes to all things BGE]
    when the egg is damped down to all night bbq temps there is not much smoke.. the only real smoke you will get from bbq is the first couple if hours when you have smoke wood chunks on the egg to flavor the meat and get your smoke ring. most smoke you will get out the egg is grilling chicken thighs direct and that smoke is from the fat. guy on the bge forum has temper issues and pissed off his neighbors with the smoke ......threats back and forth and such..... cooler heads recommended he give the neighbors some egged chicken and some ribs ..they are friends now and his elderly neighbors are grateful for the food he provides. since good bbq is lacking where you are a rack or two of ribs at the pool for the neighbors and you will find them asking you do do bbq for when they have company. neighbor asked me to do pulled pork for her sons going away party. 32lbs of butt on the large..
    link is to my redneck arkansas biker friend he cooked on a medium for years and now has mini small and medium no large, click on his posts you will be surprised how much food he pulls off a medium. dont be misled by his spelling and downhome attitude. he is very bright , a great home cook has a boardsmith board and a couple of japanese knives [my influence as you probably guessed]
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...12&func=search

This is the torch I was talking about earlier. My understanding is you need MAPP, not propane as it doesn't get hot enough. I've seen these at Lowe's and Home Depot. They supposedly get the lump ready in minutes.

i have been egging for many years now. mapp is hotter but propane works just fine . i use both and at the moment the mapp is next to my large and the propane is next to my mini ..... many use a weed burner from harbor freight ,, i have a red dragon weed burner google it .. .. 500,000 btu's 2300 degress f.. that is the fastset way to light the egg sounds like a jet engine scares the neighbors... i like that part a lot. . lots of guys use the compressed woodchip fire starters .. cooking oil on a paper towel., 90% ethyl alc soaked into a few pieces of lump or a looftlighter [or heat gun which is much cheaper] i also have looftlighter ..

Engorged Member
    Had an egg for 10+ years. Would agree that it isn't the best at one thing but amazing as an all arounder. Its like a tuner bbq. There more after market products for it so you can make it better in one area if you'd like. I'd highly recommend.

I have a mini Big green egg and use it 3-4 times a week. I love my mini. I bought it to be portable and it takes very little charcoal. I bought a mini woo and pizza stones for it, and some fire wire skewers. I will probably buy an egg carten later.
    See mini video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge...e_gdata_player

large/xl if you have room will be more enjoyable. If you get a large get a big green egg handler that attaches to the nest.
    That being said. I will never sell my mini. I will just get more eggs.

I just did some pork tenderloin on my BGE today. Oh Lordy is it ever good!
    I will be getting Small or mini because my wife just bought a '58 Airstream Overlander.
    Wow Hoo! Epicure on the road!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig