Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for user opinions of Big Green Egg

Ok I'm sold.

While I'm picking the size... somebody chip in and tell me what accessories are a must?

I'll be doing basically everything on it. Need to figure if I can pull a pizza off the medium. Lets get anal about specifications now. Thanks all. You guys are the best people in the world when it comes to affirmative action on spending hard earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Ok I'm sold.

While I'm picking the size...
    Hi There,

I strongly recommend that you get the large, the medium is too small!!! I have had several Green Eggs over the past 15 years or so and I know you will not be satisfied with a medium.

My first Egg was a medium, the salesman tried to talk me into a large, but I thought I am single and just cooking for myself most of the time so I ignored his good advice and bought the medium.....I didn't have it very long and I realized that I had made a mistake....... I really needed that extra room for ribs and chicken.

Trust me, your really need the large!!!! I find the large isn't big enough lots of times.

Just my

first thing i tell everyone is buy a thermopen..that the advice i was given and i followed it . . the 2-3 second response time is invaluable when you have the dome open at 500 degrees.
    for pizza you will want a plate setter and a pizza stone. for brisket and pulled pork, i.e. overnight cooks you will want a bbq guru. multi level or raised grid cooking,, couple of options ,, . i really like the cast iron gird and leave it on all the time not just for steaks. take the standard grid and some carriage bolts nuts and washers and make a raised grid with that. or the ceramic grill store.. first class stuff . i have not purchased yet as i just have too much egg stuff already but i will and wish i had already. link to follow.. you will need a pizza stone .. get the bge stone,, the pampered chef stone does not hold up to egg temps. a wok forum guys are on a wok kick of late. . do cruise around JL's posts you will see what can be done with a medium. if you are going to be an egger you got to do the naked whiz. link to follow. there is a wealt of info there .. when i got my egg i read every word on his site and it made me the self proclaimed expert that i am today [ha ha]

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/woo...-indirect.html

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm/

click pics for slide shows of some of my cooks

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by lowercasebill; 07-22-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: experimenting

Thermapen,plate setter, pizza stone. I used to worry about mapp torch vs electric starter vs starter cubes etc, etc. to light it. No worries. I just twist up a couple paper towels with some vegetable oil on them. Lights perfect every time. If you have the extra money get a BBQ guru. They are great, but not essential. There are a few big green egg forums. Really helpful to see what people are doing. There is a big support base of big green eggers.

Last (almost) questions: Anyone knows the best place to pick up a BGE in San Francisco? Either a webby with great delivery service (ideally free) or a nice one stop shop?

Do you specifically use the BGE charcoal or would any form of briquette/compressed or whole charcoal work just fine? I'm guessing results vary with fuel just like other charcoal cookers, but wondering if the BGE is extra sensitive to needing the 'branded' charcoal to facilitate functionality.

I think it matters to buy your Egg from someone BGE considers an authorized dealer.....then you're protected by warranty and get free replacement parts. I think most people have replaced their gasket with the better high heat one, which BGE will send you for free. You can find dealers from their site.

I wouldn't worry about charcoal brand.....just get natural real hardwood. The old time brand briquettes you see in supermarkets are usually chemically impregnated which you don't want.

I have the large egg and I wish I had an extra large to go with it. For charcoal I use royal oak, which I believe is the BGE charcoal OEM. Royal oak is available at walmart and is the only reason I ever go there. I also like cowboy charcoal, but sometimes I get a bag that is mostly small pieces. The small pieces are great for cooking steak because I can get the egg 800+ degrees pretty fast. Just cooked some bison rib eyes this Saturday, perfect medium rare in 5 minutes.

Last (almost) questions: Anyone knows the best place to pick up a BGE in San Francisco? Either a webby with great delivery service (ideally free) or a nice one stop shop?

Do you specifically use the BGE charcoal or would any form of briquette/compressed or whole charcoal work just fine? I'm guessing results vary with fuel just like other charcoal cookers, but wondering if the BGE is extra sensitive to needing the 'branded' charcoal to facilitate functionality.
    http://eggsbythebay.com/ this guy has a good reputation

you want lump charcoal not briquettes all you need to know about lump is on the naked whiz website

http://www.biggreenegg.com/ top of the page is a "find a dealer button"

never ever use lighter fluid in the egg

Odd question time - how much smoke does it output? Particularly for apartment use, I'm sure the neighbors will be more amenable if it isn't spewing large amounts of smoke all night. BBQ is one of the glories of living in the USA - here we hardly get the opportunity to do any BBQ.
    I had the next door neighbor call once to check and make sure my house was not on fire when I was smoking some jerky on my Teager once.

Get the royal oak from walmart it is cheap and works great.