amakusa stone wheel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fun little natural stone i will try to post link.

very cool... i got to use one of those and an even larger one while i was training in Japan last year. To see stones that size and larger is just mindblowing.

Jon i wondering if you saw some of these stones
they have just basic stones also.:dancecool:

Jon i wondering if you saw some of these stones
they have just basic stones also.:dancecool:

i've seen some like these

i saw one that was about 10 in wide and about mid thigh high... the guy i was sharpening with had 3 in his shop... 1 on a wheel and 2 spares ;)

interestingly enough they use amakusa bricks to make fireplaces in Japan.

ok i need more info on this stuff what grits are they and what speeds can they be run at also how big (can you tell i want one)

am i looking at the 15000 yen as about 12 inch x2 inch wide and around 1 inch hole
i woudl love a big water stone setup since ive been doing single bevels

I've known about these for a few years at least, I almost bought one myself but backed off and I'm glad I did. I sure wouldn;t mind having one on hand though, just don't want to buy it. :)

I can't find the link now but somewhere I have the link to the company that sells the machine itself shown in the links above.

Is it just me or do the prices seem fairly reasonable? (For the wheels at least)

That company also sell the TOGIRAKKU grinding wheel machine .
GROUP BUY GROUP BUY:dance:

The only problem is that the amakusa stones seem to have large inclusions of very widely differing grits which leave large scratches. I bought the red and white bench stones from epic edge. They're very slow (takes more than 40 strokes to produce burr vs 12 on a king 1k) and the finish they produce has scratches.

-Tim

The only problem is that the amakusa stones seem to have large inclusions of very widely differing grits which leave large scratches. I bought the red and white bench stones from epic edge. They're very slow (takes more than 40 strokes to produce burr vs 12 on a king 1k) and the finish they produce has scratches.

-Tim
There might be quality issues with some stones but mine are just fine no scratches no inclusions.
As far as speed sometimes slow is good. Also consider this, once the wheel spins speed is not an issue, it will make equivalent of 40 passes in less than a minute.

Latest posts

Back