• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

NOS: Moritaka 270mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
I bought this knife about three or four years ago at the height of my purchasing craze along with about 15 or so other knives that all arrived in the same two week span. Oddly enough, I set this guy in a box which the wife later filled with donation items for Goodwill. While cleaning out the garage yesterday, I started going through boxes and found this guy still in his original box. At any rate, the knife has only been out of the box twice and NEVER used in any sense of the word.

Size: 270mm
Handle: None
Steel: Aogami #2
Finish: Kurouchi

$180.00 Shipped CONUS Paypal Preferred

Thank you for looking.

DSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

Beautiful! What's the grind like? /obvious question

I think that is the biggest elephant in the room. EVER.

The grind isn't perfect but its far from the typical bad grind we see in Moritakas, on a scale of 1-10, its about a 7. I ended having to fix two knives out of the 3 Moritakas (purchased a total of 7 including this one) I have purchased over the years but I wouldn't bother with this one.

***Offer Pulled*** (Adding a handle and fixing the less than great grinds)

Thanks all for your interest.

Hey -- and maybe I should take this offline -- I appreciate your honesty. I'm still interested, once you get it sorted. It's a lovely knife and I'm sure it'll be a screamer when it's ready to cut.

Okay, so I've added a handle but have decided to leave the grind issues to the likes of Sharp Master Dave. Anyway, the D-handle is made of K&G stabilized Lace Maple Burl (ferrule) and Madrone Burl.

To offset for the cost of the handle but still leave the new owner enough to fix the grind issues, the price is now $215.00 Shipped CONUS.

The handle isn't epoxied in place yet so it can be made either left or right.

DSC_0009.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

Its the last handle made by an unnamed source who no longer makes them... sorry, that's as specific as I can be under forum rules.

Back