Quantcast
Suggestions for a Chefs Knife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Suggestions for a Chefs Knife

  1. #1

    Suggestions for a Chefs Knife

    I was referred here after I'd inquired about a knife I believe on a Youtube video. Anyway, I've cooked probably since I was 13 or 14, but no one in my house ever really used a chefs knife. Now that I'm on my own, looking at buying at least a decent knife. Some of the questions that were posted in the "which knife should I buy?" thread I probably won't be able to answer, as I don't have a ton of experience with Chef's knives.

    I would most likely use a honing rod, probably take them to sharpen them once a year, budget between 100 and 200, although prefer to spend closer to 150. I cook most meals, partly because I work at home (trade, so I can't leave a ton) and I have some allergies that make it a little difficult to eat out at times. I don't necessarily know style wise what I would want. I guess the two big ones would be European, like a Wusthof which we owned for pairing knives and a few others, or Japanese, again correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard good things about Macs, Globals, Shuns, ect, but that could all be wrong for all I know. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,773
    Welcome to the Knut House! You have come to the right place for an amazing amount of excess information!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  3. #3
    Step one is learn to sharpen your knives yourself. Otherwise, you will always be working with a "sort of sharp, sort of dull" blade. I would rather have a well sharpened Wusthof than a dull knife from the best smith in Japan.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Step one is learn to sharpen your knives yourself. Otherwise, you will always be working with a "sort of sharp, sort of dull" blade. I would rather have a well sharpened Wusthof than a dull knife from the best smith in Japan.
    I'm completely fine with sharpening my knives, just need to learn how. Probably should anyway as I really enjoy shooting, got into that a few years ago when I turned 18, and I've been looking at buying some knives, especially some if I go camping, hiking, ect. But that's a whole other topic. If you could point me where to look, or if it's on this site, I'll probably find it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mitbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    195
    One thing that has helped me is to invite friends (knife nuts) over for a meal where we try different knives while prepping the meal. This has helped me discover what I prefer in my Chefs/Guyto knife like Super Blue Steel, Wa handle, French profile.
    This has also given more respect for many brands I wouldn't have tried. i.e. Global, Tojiro, Forschner.

    Sharpening is a great skill and avenue of learning. I began with stropping mostly because the investment was only $10 and was a great way to extend the life of a very sharp edge.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader0692 View Post
    I'm completely fine with sharpening my knives, just need to learn how. Probably should anyway as I really enjoy shooting, got into that a few years ago when I turned 18, and I've been looking at buying some knives, especially some if I go camping, hiking, ect. But that's a whole other topic. If you could point me where to look, or if it's on this site, I'll probably find it.
    Jon Broida, of Japanese Knife Imports, has a video library of sharpening techniques. Jon is also willing to talk with you about your knife needs, and will make sure you get one that is best for you, even if it means you buy one elsewhere.

    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/

    http://www.youtube.com/user/JKnifeIm...ature=mhsn#g/u

    Oh, welcome to KKF!

    Rick

  7. #7
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,956
    Welcome to the forum Trader, and I second Rick's suggestion that you give Jon at Japanese Knife Imports a call.

    Let us know what you decide on, and good luck with your decision!

  8. #8
    Welcome to the forum!


    Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Jon Broida, of Japanese Knife Imports, has a video library of sharpening techniques. Jon is also willing to talk with you about your knife needs, and will make sure you get one that is best for you, even if it means you buy one elsewhere.

    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/

    http://www.youtube.com/user/JKnifeIm...ature=mhsn#g/u

    Oh, welcome to KKF!

    Rick
    Welcome!!

    + 1. Couldn't say it better.

  10. #10
    Alright thanks for the feedback and welcome party. I'll have to give him a call tomorrow or this weekend. All of his knives look really nice, a little out of what I spend for some. Probably wouldn't be, but having to be Gluten free, everything gets more expensive (5 buck for crackers). They'll be knives I get in the future lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •