Suggestions for a Chefs Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trader0692

Reaction score
I was referred here after I'd inquired about a knife I believe on a Youtube video. Anyway, I've cooked probably since I was 13 or 14, but no one in my house ever really used a chefs knife. Now that I'm on my own, looking at buying at least a decent knife. Some of the questions that were posted in the "which knife should I buy?" thread I probably won't be able to answer, as I don't have a ton of experience with Chef's knives.

I would most likely use a honing rod, probably take them to sharpen them once a year, budget between 100 and 200, although prefer to spend closer to 150. I cook most meals, partly because I work at home (trade, so I can't leave a ton) and I have some allergies that make it a little difficult to eat out at times. I don't necessarily know style wise what I would want. I guess the two big ones would be European, like a Wusthof which we owned for pairing knives and a few others, or Japanese, again correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard good things about Macs, Globals, Shuns, ect, but that could all be wrong for all I know. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Knut House! You have come to the right place for an amazing amount of excess information!

Step one is learn to sharpen your knives yourself. Otherwise, you will always be working with a "sort of sharp, sort of dull" blade. I would rather have a well sharpened Wusthof than a dull knife from the best smith in Japan.

Step one is learn to sharpen your knives yourself. Otherwise, you will always be working with a "sort of sharp, sort of dull" blade. I would rather have a well sharpened Wusthof than a dull knife from the best smith in Japan.

I'm completely fine with sharpening my knives, just need to learn how. Probably should anyway as I really enjoy shooting, got into that a few years ago when I turned 18, and I've been looking at buying some knives, especially some if I go camping, hiking, ect. But that's a whole other topic. If you could point me where to look, or if it's on this site, I'll probably find it.

One thing that has helped me is to invite friends (knife nuts) over for a meal where we try different knives while prepping the meal. This has helped me discover what I prefer in my Chefs/Guyto knife like Super Blue Steel, Wa handle, French profile.
This has also given more respect for many brands I wouldn't have tried. i.e. Global, Tojiro, Forschner.

Sharpening is a great skill and avenue of learning. I began with stropping mostly because the investment was only $10 and was a great way to extend the life of a very sharp edge.

I'm completely fine with sharpening my knives, just need to learn how. Probably should anyway as I really enjoy shooting, got into that a few years ago when I turned 18, and I've been looking at buying some knives, especially some if I go camping, hiking, ect. But that's a whole other topic. If you could point me where to look, or if it's on this site, I'll probably find it.

Jon Broida, of Japanese Knife Imports, has a video library of sharpening techniques. Jon is also willing to talk with you about your knife needs, and will make sure you get one that is best for you, even if it means you buy one elsewhere.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/JKnifeImports?feature=mhsn#g/u

Oh, welcome to KKF!

Rick

Welcome to the forum Trader, and I second Rick's suggestion that you give Jon at Japanese Knife Imports a call.

Let us know what you decide on, and good luck with your decision!

Alright thanks for the feedback and welcome party. I'll have to give him a call tomorrow or this weekend. All of his knives look really nice, a little out of what I spend for some. Probably wouldn't be, but having to be Gluten free, everything gets more expensive (5 buck for crackers). They'll be knives I get in the future lol.

Hey, nice to see you could make it to the nut house!! I'm glad you followed me (PCCKitchen) over here. At least I think it was you I referred over here from youtube. Anyway you are in good hands that is unless you like money in your wallet. :D

Just a quick question, didn't get a chance to call him today, but I noticed everyone seemed to be steering me towards a Japanese style knife, is there a reason that European styles have sort of gone to the way side, or all of your preferences just Japanese? I know from the little I did research, they're generally sharper and thinner, but can be more brittle and chip if you get the wrong knife. Am I wrong, and anyone that could clear up my original question would be greatly appreciated.

Also Theory, it was you who recommended me. Thanks a lot, looks like I'll get a great knife when I get around to calling the shop this weekend.

Well the reason most of us here prefer Japanese steel or American craft knives is the hardness and sharpness and edge retention you can achieve on these knives. German steel is just too soft to even bother putting a razor sharp edge on since it will just fold over near immediately. We could also talk about blade profile and geometry too. German stuff is typically thicker heavier and with a much more pronounced sweeping belly towards the tip. This all relates well to a knife made for just crushing through products with a rocking motion. Not at all like Japanese and American blades who's thinness and sharpness effortlessly glides through products with a simple push or pull cut. These are just examples on the western style double beveled blades. Single bevel is a whole nother beast.

I can comment on your global and shun question as well. Over priced for what they are. Globals aka the official knife of the pretentious douche bag chef: softer steel, hard to learn how to sharpen properly, doesn't even matter if you figure it out anyway because the softer steel just folded over on you again.

Shun aka the official knife of the know it all expert foodie suzie homemaker catering b1tch. Over marketed poorly heat treated vg-10 steel knives with a great fit and finish. Sure they look good but are they better performers than something almost half the cost like a tojiro dp? Most likely not. Admittedly they do have a few winners here and there mostly with the smaller knives I feel, and they do seem to maybe start listening to what we really want in a knife but it still comes back to bang for the buck for me.

If you want a blade that will fall through food it will be thinner, and have a razor sharp blade. If you like the heft of a blade thick blade then you will be pressing and using more energy than what you should.

good morning,

it's pretty much the same with me, cooking since i was 12 or 13, got a wuesthof chef's knife from my mom early on, and i always thought this was a good knife. the more you're into cooking techniques and the more you are into cooking material, the more you will start to find out that not everything that you thought was right. my wuesthof is still alive, i still use it, but it has become a knife for the rough duties...

i have discovered a certain fascination for the esthetics of japanese knifes (both western and traditional handles). my cousin once gave me a yaxell ran santoku as a birthday present. and although i don't like this knife from an ergonomic point of view, it outperformed my beloved wuesthof by far.

so far so good, but then i found out that this was just another knife, and my fascination grew, and grew, and grew, and still keeps growing! ;)

anyway, there are fantastic knives out there, some for ridiculous amount of money, some at more reasonable prices. personally, i'd probably go for the ~US$ 200-250 range. you'll find something there that will make you really happy, such as konosuke, hattori, or gesshin. those would be worth looking at! but it is all a question of personal preferences...

btw, if you're interested in a 210mm hattori fh gyuto, send me a private message. i am selling mine. not because i don't like it, but i recently got myself one of those ridiculously expensive knives in 210mm lenght, so...

anyway, enjoy searching!

Alright that's what exactly what I needed to know. I'm about to move, so I'm probably not going to spend something crazy on a knife, maybe in the next year or two, but considering I cook all the time, somewhere around 150. Plus if I'm learning to sharpen, don't want to be doing it on a 250 to 300 dollar knife lol. The only thing I wondered, is there a certain brand, other than Shun's and Globals, that you just want to steer clear of? I've been busy all day, trying to finish some yard work so I didn't get a chance to call, but always good to know if there are some knives you just want to stay away from.

Oh and sandman, didn't see that post until after I posted mine. I'll have to take a look at your thread, probably will have some good information on there from the quick glance that I gave it.

(...) considering I cook all the time, somewhere around 150. Plus if I'm learning to sharpen, don't want to be doing it on a 250 to 300 dollar knife lol.
understood. but just give it a try and send me a PM if you're interested in the 210mm hattori fh gyuto. at JCK it retails for US$ 227 + shipping. considering i am selling it in used condition, it will probably be close to your desired price range... ;)

Back