Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patina or not

No patina on single bevel knives, heavy patina on double bevel knives.

Love the patina as it helps keep the knife from reacting/staining the food...at least in my observation. Oh yeah, and I think it looks cool!

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

When I first got into this I was against patinas but then I started to see the beauty in them and let my knives turn and I've been happier for it. Less wasted time cleaning, less reaction with foods, and now I see them as functional art. Now I think pretty stainless knives looks ugly - go figure.

Glasseye is on the mark. I really don't like patina on my yanagi, but suji and gyutou? Love it! Deba? I don't care if it has patina or looks pristine, but when I'm cutting fish for sashimi or sushi I really want a very pristine blade. Maybe it's a mental thing? Sushi should be very clean and light. Somehow using a yanagi with patina doesn't seem appropriate.

Thanks, guys. Perhaps I will learn. But I agree about the yanagiba. My Masamoto has been used quite a bit, mostly on tuna, and shows no signs of developing a patina.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Love the patina as it helps keep the knife from reacting/staining the food...at least in my observation. Oh yeah, and I think it looks cool!
    +1 you can spend alot of effort trying to clean a carbon Gyuto,just let the patina go,it's like a De Buyer carbon skillet you have to season it.

Keith you are certainly not alone most people like shiny things

Cutting Ahi(yellowfin Tuna) & sushi topping wt. a Yanagi does not have as much reactivity as many other foods.If a yanagi is used alot wt. out scrubbing it will get a very lite gray that gives the metal a depth.That's my experience anyway wt. Blue & white carbons.