CCK Cleaver Looks Like Crap ... Now What?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmiller5

Reaction score
I bought this cleaver right when Mark got them in for the first time. I don't use it a lot, maybe a few times a week. But now its really looking like crap, and I need to give it a makeover. Obviously, its going to get a new handle but what else? Should I just crap it and buy a new one? I was thinking of removing the entire lacquer coating but I remember someone on the old forum saying it ruined the knife.

I got a piece of wood similar to THIS one. And I have some ebony lying around to round it out.

Currently:
IMG_6122.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg

Looks about like mine, polish it and keep going it is fine.

I don't really see any issues, what is wrong with it? I removed the lacquer from secondary bevel grind down and found the reactvity not bad at all, ymmv.

I totally disagree with these guys. It looks like ***t. My suggestion is to sell it to me for $20 incl. PP and shipping and I'll dispose of it for you in a safe manner. I have an old knife graveyard around here somewhere, and it will be right at home. Thanks for considering my proposal.

I totally disagree with these guys. It looks like ***t. My suggestion is to sell it to me for $20 incl. PP and shipping and I'll dispose of it for you in a safe manner. I have an old knife graveyard around here somewhere, and it will be right at home. Thanks for considering my proposal.

I agree with Tom, but you should probably pay him $20 to dispose of it for you.

OK, I'll throw in some music and a few of my better knives can say a few words. Seriously, at some point you just have to let it go man. I know, I've been there. Listen to your uncle Tom.....pats on the back would be appropriate here.

Ok, I guess I am just being picky. I am going to remove the bare metal lacquer and leave the blue lacquer alone. Once I make the new handle and the bare metal achieves a good patina, I will re post. Trust me...its going to make a big difference. Or maybbe I will get a new one and dress it up the way I was talking about. Either way, its still a dang good knife.

Looks better than the chopping cleaver I just made look like new.

Just wondering what method you guys use to remove the lacquer? Would a wire buffer wheel work?

That looks a lot better than mine. Especially since I dust dropped the damn thing on the floor and bent the tip last week:curse:

Back