Glassware Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMel

Reaction score
Hello guys, Just need some help here deciding on which wine glasses to buy. Should I go for generic white and red or have different glasses for different wines a la Riedel? Lead or lead free, and what's the difference?

My previous set was from Ikea and I feel like and upgrade (especially after reading Mari's post about the Ion Strong glasses)!

Cheers!
Melv

Having been through all that nonsense over the years, now I just buy six-packs of 6 oz. straight-sided juice glasses from Ikea.
Your wine won't taste any different from a fancy glass, and if you drop one, well, there's five more.
Brandy, on the other hand, should be served in a 4 oz. Holmegaard. The one's with the bubble in the stem. Makes all the difference . . . Of course, I don't think they've made any lately; their martini glasses were featured in "The Birds". Hitchcock knew.

I disagree that your wine doesn't taste different between glasses and types of glasses. I used to think that it didn't matter until my wife had me do a comparison between her riedels and my cheapy's.
Yes, that is true if you are drinking two buck chuck, but certain glasses do bring out the nuances of the wine (same with beers and some liquors). We kept my cheapies and some no stem glasses for day to day wine and break out the Riedel's for special wines / occasions. Whether or not you should invest in them depends on what you drink, how much room you have to store them and what style of wines you prefer.

Good glassware is important for the enjoyment of quality wines. Crystal is superior to glass, because little imperfections in the crystal structure capture and amplify the nuances of the wine when you swirl. The shape of the glass does affect a wine, however having a different glass for every wine varietal is going overboard for most people. Four types of glasses for the four general types of wine is plenty: Light bodied whites, medium-full bodied whites, light-bodied reds, medium-full bodied reds.

However, buy glassware that matches what you drink. No sense in buying Burgundy glasses if you mostly drink Cabernet Sauvignon, for example.

You can even make due with one good all-purpose glass, even we professionals use but one universal tasting glass!

Many folks, including myself, are concerned about lead leaching so I would go with lead-free.

My personal preference is for a 16-20oz glass with a large bowl (so that you can pour a 6oz portion and fill only 30-40% of the glass), medium-long stem and narrow chimney. Having only one glass also allows you to provide quality glassware for your guests not just yourselves. These are a little exotic and hard to find, but I love them and use them every night:
http://www.wineware.co.uk/Peter+Steger+One+For+All+Red+Wine+Glass+Set+of+6--129350-details.htm

Spiegelau also makes great glasses at a reasonable price.

Good glassware is important for the enjoyment of quality wines. Crystal is superior to glass, because little imperfections in the crystal structure capture and amplify the nuances of the wine when you swirl. The shape of the glass does affect a wine, however having a different glass for every wine varietal is going overboard for most people. Four types of glasses for the four general types of wine is plenty: Light bodied whites, medium-full bodied whites, light-bodied reds, medium-full bodied reds.

However, buy glassware that matches what you drink. No sense in buying Burgundy glasses if you mostly drink Cabernet Sauvignon, for example.

You can even make due with one good all-purpose glass, even we professionals use but one universal tasting glass!

Many folks, including myself, are concerned about lead leaching so I would go with lead-free.

My personal preference is for a 16-20oz glass with a large bowl (so that you can pour a 6oz portion and fill only 30-40% of the glass), medium-long stem and narrow chimney. Having only one glass also allows you to provide quality glassware for your guests not just yourselves. These are a little exotic and hard to find, but I love them and use them every night:
http://www.wineware.co.uk/Peter+Steger+One+For+All+Red+Wine+Glass+Set+of+6--129350-details.htm

Spiegelau also makes great glasses at a reasonable price.

Great info! I'm more looking to get just a pair of each though, again due to the fact that I'll be travelling quite a bit. Now, just to find a shop in Australia lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back