Which Honesuki....Heiji, Takeda, or

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMac

Reaction score
So this question is geared towards pro chefs.

I've been looking for a new Honesuki knife for a little will now. Been looking at three different knives, all slightly different from metal, shape, and bevels. This knife is going to be strictly used for butchering rabbit, quail, squab, pheasant, goats, etc. I currently been using a masahiro for the last 5 years.

These are the 3 makers i been looking at:

Heiji's from Jon, Yoshikane skd kasumi, or Takeda's.

Looking for feedback on these three preferably if not then another wa handled knife from japan.

Thanks

The Heiji and Yoshikane (if he does his honesuki the same way he does the hankotsu on Maxim's site) are both done in a traditional single bevel format. I haven't used any of them but if you're looking for more options, I know Watanabe does one in a single bevel as well. Takedas are always double beveled. I don't know whether it matters much to you but they will probably feel quite different in use. If you want another option in more of the Takeda style, I think Jon at JKI has something quite close to a honesuki from Zakuri.

I have spent quite a bit of time playing with different japanese style boning knives. From Japanese style makers i have a watanabe in blue 2 that's the most "traditional" design and the one from zakuri thats double beveled and a less angular design.

The single bevel watanabe is more delicate, but the robust zakuri might be a more versatile all-rounder if youre doing goat as well as poultry.

I bought a Gesshin Ginga 150mm wa-honesuki from Jon at JKI several months ago and have been very happy with it. I use it for breaking down and boning chickens, trimming and separating spare ribs, and occasionally as a petty. Works for me and the price isn't bad.

I must say, every time I am at jobs shop (once a week) I pick up te heiji and think, hmm I need to special order one of these for a lefty. It's an awesome looking knife and in sure it would be great for the proteins you mentioned...

-Chuck

I have a honesuki and garasuki, Watanabe branded, both traditional. Honesuki I find more difficult to sharpen, as the bevel convexes very abruptly, while garasuki primary bevel is flat as on traditional single-beveled knives.

A 135-150mm honesuki will be a nimble knife to cut around joints, but it won't withstand a more heavy duty cutting without a risk of chipping. Grarasuki should fare better cutting through bones, but event that might result in some chipping and need of a microbevel. A duuble beveled honesuki should in principle be more stable.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Marko , thats one thing that i was a little worried about. Going through joints possible chipping if it flexed going through them. Also on smaller animals its nice to cut through smaller bones, depending on what your fabricating.

I really like the look of heiji, but my gut tells me to get the takeda it will be a beast.

Back