Quantcast
Help with a petty selection!?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a petty selection!?

Help with a petty selection!?

I have been using my honesuki as a petty but its just more of a hassle sometimes its just not right shape and doesn't always work as well.

Looking for something that be used for anything from slicing fruits, frenching lamb, removing sliver skin, pretty much anything you can think of to use a petty for.

I think 150mm would be just can still hold in hand but also slice on board but open to suggestions.

knives I'm currently looking at are-

gengetsu white #2 or stainless

gesshing ginga

Gesshing Uraku- 120mm

fujiwara fkh

Tadatuna

Like i said I'm up to suggestions just want the jack of all trades petty. doesn't have to be fancy just get the job done western or wa doesn't matter.

I have been playing with a Hiromoto AS for a bit now and I really enjoy it. For me it feels great, Takes a great edge and keeps it. I will probably end up buying one for myself then sending it to dave for one of his awesome etches.

I have a Carter HG Funy 4.6 sun (140cm) that I use for those tasks and like it a lot. I think if I didn't have that - for the price the Gesshin Uraku 150 would be a good add. I am sure you would be happy with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    ... I will probably end up buying one for myself then sending it to dave for one of his awesome etches.
    You need to have Dave do a little thinning which is what makes the Hiro look so cool after the etching. Otherwise it's just ends up being a two-tone gray knife, which is how my knife turned out.

From my experience, you want a height at the heel of least 32-35 mm for comfortable board work. That leaves out the Tadatsuna, the Gesshin Uraku, the Fujiwara FKH and the Gesshin Ginga. Only the Gengetsu stainless clad white #2 stainless have that kind height at the heel.

Masamoto Virgin Carbon.My only clad knife is the Hiromoto petty.I thinned it used it at work several yrs.The cladding is a little worn fr. alot of use & multible sharpenings,but it takes a sharp edge & holds it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    From my experience, you want a height at the heel of least 32-35 mm for comfortable board work. That leaves out the Tadatsuna, the Gesshin Uraku, the Fujiwara FKH and the Gesshin Ginga. Only the Gengetsu stainless clad white #2 stainless have that kind height at the heel.
    very true is this knife thin enough for removing sliver skin/ sinew and frenching cuts of meat??

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    very true is this knife thin enough for removing sliver skin/ sinew and frenching cuts of meat??
    The specs Jon has on them shows a spine dimension of ~2 mm. Is removing silverskin/frenching highly dependent on the thinness of the blade?

You could also look at the yoshikane kasumi from Maxim.

i have a 150mm Konosuke HD and it's pretty handy.

+ Reply to Thread