Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a petty selection!?

I was never crazy about working on the board with my 150. It just felt too small for that. Your choice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i have a 150mm Konosuke HD and it's pretty handy.
    Ditto. Love it for peeling and sectioning citrus.

I was looking into something similar recently. I too wanted a petty, but with some height at the heel. I do fruit supremes, decorative garnish etc., but wanted something more substantial than what I was using. To be honest, I french lamb and smaller racks (rabbit) with a much shorter boning knife. I think height at the heel is a detriment for that.

I'm very fond of the new Gengetsu line...I've bought two white #2 gyutos from Jon. Can't say enough about them. The 150 petty looks great, but I went in another direction. I bought a Fuji white #1 150 gyuto...short knife with height at the heel. I also bought a Yoshikane 130 paring knife for comparison. Neither is in hand yet, so I can't give you feedback...but would be happy to when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I was never crazy about working on the board with my 150. It just felt too small for that. Your choice, though.
    perfect for duck scoring though.

Get a wa-petty if you want knuckle clearance for board work. I can cut with the chin of my 135mm Asai petty because of the extra knuckle clearance from the Japanese handle. It's not a wide blade.

Why not go for 210mm petty/suji hybrid? Get two knives in one.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Nenox gets no love but I could not live without my 150mm Nenox petty. I use it every day. I even try to use it when a petty really isn't suited just because I love to use it.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Why not go for 210mm petty/suji hybrid? Get two knives in one.
    I had the 210mm gesshin petty I loved the blade it just felt awkward for a lot of tasks. It was great for slicing veggies but for smaller work still felt like I needed a paring knife or smaller petty. I ended up never using it and let it go.

I'm debatin between getting 150 and 180mm idk which would be better though.

ok so i have narrowed it done i decided i want a 120mm cheap petty or more like a paring knife and get like a 180 petty as well.

as far as the 120mm

I'm looking at the fujiwara fkm, hiromoto ginsan, or the konosuke hd? All western handles.

Any ideas on which i might prefer more?