Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a petty selection!?

I was never crazy about working on the board with my 150. It just felt too small for that. Your choice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i have a 150mm Konosuke HD and it's pretty handy.
    Ditto. Love it for peeling and sectioning citrus.

I was looking into something similar recently. I too wanted a petty, but with some height at the heel. I do fruit supremes, decorative garnish etc., but wanted something more substantial than what I was using. To be honest, I french lamb and smaller racks (rabbit) with a much shorter boning knife. I think height at the heel is a detriment for that.

I'm very fond of the new Gengetsu line...I've bought two white #2 gyutos from Jon. Can't say enough about them. The 150 petty looks great, but I went in another direction. I bought a Fuji white #1 150 gyuto...short knife with height at the heel. I also bought a Yoshikane 130 paring knife for comparison. Neither is in hand yet, so I can't give you feedback...but would be happy to when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I was never crazy about working on the board with my 150. It just felt too small for that. Your choice, though.
    perfect for duck scoring though.

Get a wa-petty if you want knuckle clearance for board work. I can cut with the chin of my 135mm Asai petty because of the extra knuckle clearance from the Japanese handle. It's not a wide blade.

Why not go for 210mm petty/suji hybrid? Get two knives in one.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Nenox gets no love but I could not live without my 150mm Nenox petty. I use it every day. I even try to use it when a petty really isn't suited just because I love to use it.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Why not go for 210mm petty/suji hybrid? Get two knives in one.
    I had the 210mm gesshin petty I loved the blade it just felt awkward for a lot of tasks. It was great for slicing veggies but for smaller work still felt like I needed a paring knife or smaller petty. I ended up never using it and let it go.

I'm debatin between getting 150 and 180mm idk which would be better though.

ok so i have narrowed it done i decided i want a 120mm cheap petty or more like a paring knife and get like a 180 petty as well.

as far as the 120mm

I'm looking at the fujiwara fkm, hiromoto ginsan, or the konosuke hd? All western handles.

Any ideas on which i might prefer more?