Help with a petty selection!?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
I have been using my honesuki as a petty but its just more of a hassle sometimes its just not right shape and doesn't always work as well.

Looking for something that be used for anything from slicing fruits, frenching lamb, removing sliver skin, pretty much anything you can think of to use a petty for.

I think 150mm would be just can still hold in hand but also slice on board but open to suggestions.

knives I'm currently looking at are-

gengetsu white #2 or stainless

gesshing ginga

Gesshing Uraku- 120mm

fujiwara fkh

Tadatuna

Like i said I'm up to suggestions just want the jack of all trades petty. doesn't have to be fancy just get the job done western or wa doesn't matter.

I have been playing with a Hiromoto AS for a bit now and I really enjoy it. For me it feels great, Takes a great edge and keeps it. I will probably end up buying one for myself then sending it to dave for one of his awesome etches.

I have a Carter HG Funy 4.6 sun (140cm) that I use for those tasks and like it a lot. I think if I didn't have that - for the price the Gesshin Uraku 150 would be a good add. I am sure you would be happy with any of them.

... I will probably end up buying one for myself then sending it to dave for one of his awesome etches.

You need to have Dave do a little thinning which is what makes the Hiro look so cool after the etching. Otherwise it's just ends up being a two-tone gray knife, which is how my knife turned out.

From my experience, you want a height at the heel of least 32-35 mm for comfortable board work. That leaves out the Tadatsuna, the Gesshin Uraku, the Fujiwara FKH and the Gesshin Ginga. Only the Gengetsu stainless clad white #2 stainless have that kind height at the heel.

Masamoto Virgin Carbon.My only clad knife is the Hiromoto petty.I thinned it used it at work several yrs.The cladding is a little worn fr. alot of use & multible sharpenings,but it takes a sharp edge & holds it well.

From my experience, you want a height at the heel of least 32-35 mm for comfortable board work. That leaves out the Tadatsuna, the Gesshin Uraku, the Fujiwara FKH and the Gesshin Ginga. Only the Gengetsu stainless clad white #2 stainless have that kind height at the heel.

very true is this knife thin enough for removing sliver skin/ sinew and frenching cuts of meat??

You could also look at the yoshikane kasumi from Maxim.

I was never crazy about working on the board with my 150. It just felt too small for that. Your choice, though.

I was looking into something similar recently. I too wanted a petty, but with some height at the heel. I do fruit supremes, decorative garnish etc., but wanted something more substantial than what I was using. To be honest, I french lamb and smaller racks (rabbit) with a much shorter boning knife. I think height at the heel is a detriment for that.

I'm very fond of the new Gengetsu line...I've bought two white #2 gyutos from Jon. Can't say enough about them. The 150 petty looks great, but I went in another direction. I bought a Fuji white #1 150 gyuto...short knife with height at the heel. I also bought a Yoshikane 130 paring knife for comparison. Neither is in hand yet, so I can't give you feedback...but would be happy to when they arrive.

Get a wa-petty if you want knuckle clearance for board work. I can cut with the chin of my 135mm Asai petty because of the extra knuckle clearance from the Japanese handle. It's not a wide blade.

Nenox gets no love but I could not live without my 150mm Nenox petty. I use it every day. I even try to use it when a petty really isn't suited just because I love to use it.

-AJ

Why not go for 210mm petty/suji hybrid? Get two knives in one.

I had the 210mm gesshin petty I loved the blade it just felt awkward for a lot of tasks. It was great for slicing veggies but for smaller work still felt like I needed a paring knife or smaller petty. I ended up never using it and let it go.

I'm debatin between getting 150 and 180mm idk which would be better though.

ok so i have narrowed it done i decided i want a 120mm cheap petty or more like a paring knife and get like a 180 petty as well.

as far as the 120mm

I'm looking at the fujiwara fkm, hiromoto ginsan, or the konosuke hd? All western handles.

Any ideas on which i might prefer more?

Back