Beef and broccoli

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the dumb question, what cut of beef do you use?

Sorry for the dumb question, what cut of beef do you use?

Sorry but I couldn't tell you, I am still learning cuts and techniques myself.

But it ended up in a square cut, I would have prefferd to cut it into strips though it didn't work out.

Julian

Julian, your picture made be just go buy some beef and broccoli so I can fix it for supper.

Rick

I hope you don't mind me asking but what is your recipe, if you don't want to say that's fine I am just wanting to try some different recipes.

Julian

I hope you don't mind me asking but what is your recipe, if you don't want to say that's fine I am just wanting to try some different recipes.

Julian

Julian,

I used top sirloin, since it was on sale at my market, cheaper than round steak, cut thinly into 3" long strips. I mixed a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch, a tablespoon or so of water and about a half teaspoon of garlic powder, then tossed the steak to coat. I stir fried the steak in about a tablespoon of oil until it was medium-rare to medium, then took it out and set it aside. I stir fried about a half-pound (4 cups or so) of broccoli florets and a quarter of a large Vidalia onion cut pole-to-pole in another tablespoon of oil and when the broccoli was still a bit crisp, added a mixture of a tablespoon of cornstarch, a third cup of soy sauce, two tablespoons of brown sugar, a half-teaspoon of ground ginger and a half cup of water. I let it thicken, then added the beef back.

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures, maybe next time.

Rick

Julian,

I used top sirloin, since it was on sale at my market, cheaper than round steak, cut thinly into 3" long strips. I mixed a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch, a tablespoon or so of water and about a half teaspoon of garlic powder, then tossed the steak to coat. I stir fried the steak in about a tablespoon of oil until it was medium-rare to medium, then took it out and set it aside. I stir fried about a half-pound (4 cups or so) of broccoli florets and a quarter of a large Vidalia onion cut pole-to-pole in another tablespoon of oil and when the broccoli was still a bit crisp, added a mixture of a tablespoon of cornstarch, a third cup of soy sauce, two tablespoons of brown sugar, a half-teaspoon of ground ginger and a half cup of water. I let it thicken, then added the beef back.

Rick

you should be! :justkidding:

Now I'm hungry. Chicken teriyaki on rice sounds about right after this thread.

I slice up some beef and add some soy sauce and black bean sauce, then stirfry it briefly. Remove it from the pan.
I toss chopped garlic and ginger in some hot neutral oil and then add the broccoli and sliced onion. After getting it hot I add some water and soy sauce for steam and cover for a few, then add the cow and a bit of corn starch in water to thicken, but that last is optional.
Hoisin is another option for black bean sauce. A little dry sherry works too.

All these recipes sound great, and if I hadn't just eaten, I would be all over this. I also like to add a bit of oyster sauce to mine as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try a different recipe next time.

Julian

Julian,

Rick

you should be! :justkidding:

Now I'm hungry. Chicken teriyaki on rice sounds about right after this thread.

Okay, I made chicken ponzu tonight, and this time remembered to take pictures.

112100e5.jpg

Latest posts

Back