Quantcast
resumes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: resumes

I prefer resumes to be simple, clean and with perfect grammar. Also what will get you further along than just sending a resume, with me at least, is a brief, well written cover letter that isn't the generic mass produced/to whom it may concern type. Here is where you can throw in a few personal mentions of your accolades and goals, that you know who you are applying to and why you want to work for this company or person. No a$$ kissing...just show that you have a head on your shoulders and have done some research and know where you are going or want to be. My humble two cents, hope this helps and good luck. If you're looking in the Boston area and need some help or direction feel free to PM

Quote Originally Posted by lumo View Post
    I prefer resumes to be simple, clean and with perfect grammar. Also what will get you further along than just sending a resume, with me at least, is a brief, well written cover letter that isn't the generic mass produced/to whom it may concern type. Here is where you can throw in a few personal mentions of your accolades and goals, that you know who you are applying to and why you want to work for this company or person. No a$$ kissing...just show that you have a head on your shoulders and have done some research and know where you are going or want to be. My humble two cents, hope this helps and good luck. If you're looking in the Boston area and need some help or direction feel free to PM
    Absolutely correct.

If you would like a bit of assistance, PM your proposed resume and I will offer suggestions. You are, of course, entitled to ignore them, but it never hurts to listen to suggestions.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Never hired in the culinary industry but did a lot in my previous life. Any resume longer than one page would generally get tossed without a 2nd look. I put one add up for delivery drivers and in 2 days got almost 200 responses. I didn't have time to read someone's life story. I'd look at their last couple jobs, or the first couple things at the top of the page, and if nothing caught my eye I'd move on.

It's not imperitive to keep your resume to a single page but if your sending a cover letter with it you want to try to keep it short and sweet. There are no absolutes as every Chef is going to be different as you can see from this thread. Then there are those places where you get pre-sorted by HR. I would absolutely include the info about the medal. Skip the article as that's way more than I want to see even at an Interview. If I had two resume's and was going to prioritize I always pick some one who had been involved in competition as that says a lot to me about your motivation.

Best of luck with the job search!

Dave

I'd keep the articles out of the resume and compile a portfolio for interviews. It could contain pictures of your food as well....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

best help I ever got was @ Other knife forums someone proofread my resume and made modifications , having someone who looks at alot of them take a look and help you out w/ tips & editing is really helpful

for every job I send a resume too I adjust the cover letter to contain , the restaurants name , chef's name , and at least some thing the restaurant is known for that I am interested in learning about or that I can hopefully be an addition too

its a small thing but I have repeatedly been told that the cover letter is what really stood out on the resume.

for the rest of it I keep it simple & straight forward , always trying to show that @ every workplace I have been promoted & have steadily been going up & never backwards in my profession ( which is 100% correct at this point in time )

resume is just to get your foot in the door so you can sell yourself

I try to never let my resume sound like a craigslist post from a used car dealership , do that in person

edit : adding in the only accomplishment I have ever mentioned in a resume besides work experience , is things pertaining to James Beard dinner / nominations ( havent received second one yet ) or other awards that I specifically had a large hand in achieving

I've been a professional recruiter for about 15 years. look me up Linkedin Dennis M Pinto II, Raleigh, NC). Resumes are an old way of trying to demonstrate skills and experiences. LinkedIn has built a better mousetrap, its dynamic, will allow you to post a pic and will actually be working for you, unlike a file on a disk.

Couple of best resume practices.

Do not write a laundry list of chores or duties:

worked fry, vegie perp, dishwasher... Nobody cares, plus If you hire someone that has performed the same or similar job for another company that your hiring some for, your seeding your own company with turnover within two years. Think about, who wants to do the same job, just at a different place.

Employer are looking for drive, motivation and accomplishment. Not another did, it, done it, been there. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ trash can

Better to state one thing at each place of employment that distinguished you, something that you did better than everyone else (should be a skill and personality trait), unless your looking for a job just shucking oysters or washing dishes.

Drop all accolades: I'm the hardest working, passionate, even tempered... blah blah blah, nobody cares or believes you. Plus, their only going to give your resume 3 to 5 second look and you wasted your time telling them that You're Mr Hard worker. You blew it.

if you do say something like I was the best at this, then put it into context. "In a team of six chef's and four sous, I was known for my miriproix prep, others would always comment on why my vegetables always lasted longer than the others. I believe the reason for this was that because I cared enough about the vegetables to keep my knife edges professional maintained on a daily basis."

Sorry if this sounds short but i can't write a book here, have ten people I need to call, are you going to be one of them?

If this would be like this, I guess none of the companies that employed me after reading my CV would actually look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Plus, their only going to give your resume 3 to 5 second look
    Now that is just a lot of BS.

So youre saying that someone who runs family restaurant, max group of 6 passionates in the kitchen, and looks for one more, spends only 3-5 secs on my resume?

Hell, how come they asked about the things written there?

BS huh. Now you're a recruiter? to be honest it wouldn't surprise me as you seem to be a know-it-all about everything else. Perhaps you should focus that keen intelect on Europe's Debt Crisis. Clearly they are in need of your wisdom or not.

Like I said, three to five seconds is the average. Once the reader show some interest, then we'll spend more time with it. I can tell if a candidate is a fit for a role from across the room. Least that how we do it in the Fortune 1000.

Hmmm, maybe that is the difference between a corporate recruiter and a small business owner/ manager. When we run ads for engineers, we spend a bit more time then only 3-5 seconds reviewing resumes, as we are looking for the best people with the best education/ background, and not the best resume writers. The corporate world is different, though. There people often pay others to write their resumes, so the resumes are not always a true depiction of the applicant (since the writing was done by others). It's funny to see a perfectly polished resume that arrives with a cover letter that looks like it was written by a 4th grader.