Quantcast
resumes - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: resumes

I suppose there are different cultural takes on the OP's question.
    Both geographically and profession wise.

I have been a business owner and manager for a good number of years now, and tend to do like to be involved in the hiring process.

Basically what I'll do is look for a proper presentation in their application and resumes.
    The ones who doesn't look like something they have worked on, at least a basic attempt of selling themselves and document their skills, will go to the bottom of the pile pretty fast.
    After that initial ranking is done, I will study their resumes in much more detail.
    What I look for at that time, is anything out of the ordinary.
    Not all A's or anything like that, I'll make sure they receive proper training regardless of that.
    No, it is more the person that has shown a will and a desire to get somewhere that kinda peeks my interest.
    Extra curicular activities, what subjects they may have excelled in, hobbies or interests outside of the work arena and so on.
    In other words, someone who makes me feel that he or she has proven a willingness to go the extra mile for their goals, and possess a personality that, in my initial impression, will fit the current position in that team.

thanks for all of the help everyone. i have finalized my resume and been sending it out. now hopefully someone in chicago or vegas likes it and i can get out of charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    BS huh. Now you're a recruiter? to be honest it wouldn't surprise me as you seem to be a know-it-all about everything else. Perhaps you should focus that keen intelect on Europe's Debt Crisis. Clearly they are in need of your wisdom or not.

Like I said, three to five seconds is the average. Once the reader show some interest, then we'll spend more time with it. I can tell if a candidate is a fit for a role from across the room. Least that how we do it in the Fortune 1000.
    Dont get personal my friend.

I dont know what else youve been reading in my posts, but this is KKF[kitchen knife forums], and so I write about grinding metal, and cooking.
    And if Im trying my best?

My intelect is not getting even close to yours, so please you fix Europe. I live in the part of it, that does good.

I dont know if you have been recruiting chefs before or not. Doesnt really matter. From my experience, everyone Ive sent my CV read it. In a few different countries.
    I dont say they did cause its worth it. They did it, cause chefs understand very well [I hope] that to get something good you have to invest time.

Hahah, for example my current employer was asking me dates question and talked my hobbies with me. The previous asked me whats my favourite Thai food.

We are not a big company and we are not seeking after 100 people to join the crew. Its one at a time, and it takes few days for the decision to invite potential employee for a trial.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It really depends on the restaurant, if you are going to a chain or a small one store place. The chain will also hire in bulk and keep the 1 out of the 5.

Were as the single out one will sit down and look through all they get. Most small places don't get much as far as resume's come. I am now at a place if a resume comes with a application most people just laugh because we usually don't hire someone that has tons of experience.
    Chewie's the man.

All good input. Sorry Bieniek, Just rubbed me the wrong way yesterday. I work for the largest Professional Technical Training company in the world, Global Knowledge. I'm their Instructor Talent Acquisition manger, Instructor recruiter. The folks I hire are consultants in the industry that also have good communication skills. They make an average of $1000 per day some $1500.

One thing that always stands out in resumes in inconsitency in job duties. I'm looking for a steady track record working on that same skill set. So if your looking for a job cooking, its not going to help your chances highlighting you experience as a camp councilor.

All good input. Sorry Bieniek, Just rubbed me the wrong way yesterday. I work for the largest Professional Technical Training company in the world, Global Knowledge. I'm their Instructor Talent Acquisition manger, Instructor recruiter. The folks I hire are consultants in the industry that also have good communication skills. They make an average of $1000 per day some $1500.

One thing that always stands out in resumes in inconsitency in job duties. I'm looking for a steady track record working on that same skill set. So if your looking for a job cooking, its not going to help your chances highlighting you experience as a camp councilor.
    I tailored my resume for this industry leaving out anything not food related unless it was management.

Wink

Nothing to appologise about. Honestly.

Now, the part of earning reminded me a funny story.

The restaurant I worked for once got a guy, he was in his thirties, before was working with computers and earned over 100K sterlings per annum.
    But he really wanted to cook. And so he became commis chef. after a two months he realised he got bullied by everyone, earned barely 700 per month and his wife left him.
    Oh and he was coming to the job in his ew Audi TT [back then it was hit].
    Two or three months and the guy was over.
    Guess money aint everything ...

+ Reply to Thread