Quantcast
Are Takedas still worth the price?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Takedas still worth the price?

Are Takedas still worth the price?

So it's almost tax time so I'm looking at treating myself to a new cleaver. Looking at spending a decent sum so I have a few options floating about in my head. The majority seem to love Takeda's offerings and I know Andy gave it top marks when he did his line up over on KF a few years back, but back then I think they were in the 300-400 range. For those who have used one of his cleavers, would you still pay $550 for it?

Other options I was considering were the Sugimoto OMS 6 ($527), Saji damascus ($650, though seems to have sold out sometime over night), or potentially looking at a custom; not sure about who I would consider there? DT, Yoshikane, Geshin Hide perhaps?

Cheers,
    Josh

I know I'm biased, but mine have never let me down.

Tim

if i was considering a cleaver with a $550 budget i would look into custom stuff. I bet you could get something really nice at that price.

I dunno--few custom makers will get down on the idea of doing a full size cleaver for $550.

youre right. I guess what i meant to say was if i was prepared to spend $550 on a cleaver, why not go the extra mile and go custom?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    youre right. I guess what i meant to say was if i was prepared to spend $550 on a cleaver, why not go the extra mile and go custom?
    I don't think you'd get anything significantly better for the same price, in fact it would probably cost a bit more, depending on your specifications.

Compared to the others you mentioned, I would not want a cleaver(or anything, really) in VG10. I am just tired of it, and don't like it. The Sugimoto VS the Takeda--I'd say that, provided you like a KU finish and don't mind a Wa handle, it is a better value than the Sugimoto #6.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Compared to the others you mentioned, I would not want a cleaver(or anything, really) in VG10. I am just tired of it, and don't like it. The Sugimoto VS the Takeda--I'd say that, provided you like a KU finish and don't mind a Wa handle, it is a better value than the Sugimoto #6.
    I agree. In both regards.

You can get aeb-l/swedish steel cleavers from gesshin ginga,konosuke and mizuno for $250-210 less. i dont think the upgrade to blue steel is worth the $$$. ofcourse there is other things to consider but i dunno...im pretty thrifty

Kono makes a chuka? And under $300. And it's something other than W2? I find this hard to believe... But I'm out of the loop maybe... mizunos and gingas always appear too thick IMO honestly. Chukas have to be stupid thin. It's why the CCK's are so successful. If they had quality steel, improved F/F, better handles.... Oh wait-! That's a Takeda chuka!

It's just ten times the price of a CCK... Dammit!!!