Revisiting an old friend :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarvenChef

Reaction score
In a few hours (ugh) I'm heading out on a bike ride and picnic with the family. I decided to make a few dishes I have been wanting to try for about 15 years lol, just never got around to doing it :p

What I chose to work with was my good ol trusty Hiromoto HC 240 gyuto. I have not had this knife down for a while, not for any length of time at least. It has been some years sence I did a full meal run with it and I was amazed at how familier it felt right away. This was the first Japanese knife I recieved, it was an anonomous gift from someone (I still think it was Fish) in my early days on the other forum. I did everything to that poor knife that I read about in the forums. It went to work with me everyday for almost a year while I learned how to use a gyuto vs a western chef style. Chips, tips, warps, you name it I prpbably did it to that poor knife LOL. But with the guidence of the members there (many now here :) ) I was able to fix it, learning SO much along the way.

All these memories are left in the patina of this knife. I see spots from a piece of chile that didn't get wipped off properly when I went to lunch, the etching from a lime cut and not wiped before a customer distracted me. So many good times LOL. After a year I moved to the Hiromoto AS knives I had only dreamed of up to that point, and many still remember my obsession for those LOL (Ya I still love em).

Working again with the H HC 240 was a great walk down memory lane, all the things I just fell in love with about Japanese knives and the drive to learn more.... Now look at me LOL pouring my feelings out in front of you guys (and gals) about a knife :p May there never be a Knife-aholics anon :p

What knife do you remember that really just set you off (in a good way)?

What was your first?

My first was an akifusa gyuto. From the days when I was obsessed with steels and hardness. I no longer have it but I still get to visit it.

Pics please.

Is it wrong if I say a shun classic Alton angle utility?

HiromotoAS-HC240.jpg

Top is a Hiromoto AS 240 and below is my Hiromoto HC 240 :)

Just dawned on me that I don't see any current pics of my H HC... where is my kid (and her camera) when I need her :p

Those HCs are really great knives, should have kept mine...

Stefan

my first knife was also a hiromoto but mine was the AS. i found out a lot about knives and especially how to care for them and sharpen them. i could see what not wiping off a knife would do to the blade but the whole knife didn't suffer.

i still love to use this knife from time to time

Just got out my 240 Hiro As gyuto tonight. Still one of my favorites, Fish made a handle for me similar to the Nenox shape with Hawaiian woods - koa, palm, and mango - my first custom handle and probably among the last ones I would ever sell. Unfortunately, it's embarrasingly dull right now, I wish I could see more fun in sharpening...

Stefan

Did the old Hiromoto HC carbon's have the stainless bolster like the Kikuichi Elite Carbon & Masamoto HC.I always thought that it was a great idea.How do they do that anyway,put a stainless clad on the bolster?

My old western handle carbon Masamoto was the knife that changed it all for me.

Mine doesn't have a stainless bolster, but it's not the same steel as the blade.

Back