Quantcast
French Bistro suggestions needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Bistro suggestions needed

French Bistro suggestions needed

I am part of a cooking club and our theme this Saturday is French bistro. I have to cook a SALAD and and SEAFOOD not fish. I am going to order a truffle from Dartagnan and have it overnighted. I would love some suggestions.

I think you'd either be incredibly stupid, or incredibly smart to do escargot, and then something with shrimp, like a Dijon and lemon sauté, or a bisque. Mmmm. This all makes me think of going to Normandy, and I'm now really wanting to go back to France. Damn you!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ucmd View Post
    I am part of a cooking club and our theme this Saturday is French bistro. I have to cook a SALAD and and SEAFOOD not fish. I am going to order a truffle from Dartagnan and have it overnighted. I would love some suggestions.
    Basque seafood stew delicious

Scallops and truffle is a match made in heaven!!! Maybe baked in the shell under puff pastry with truffle & butter

For the salad I like frisée (curly endive?) with lardons, poached egg and a vinaigrette made from the bacon drippings

Or a traditional Niçoise salad
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

coquilles St. Jacques and a nice salad Nicoise. ooh, love me a good ratatouille.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

To me, bistro = mussels. As simple as possible. Huw's salad choice hits the mark dead on...tarragon vinegar for the dressing.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    To me, bistro = mussels. As simple as possible. Huw's salad choice hits the mark dead on...tarragon vinegar for the dressing.

Ucmd and I live about ten minutes apart, and I don't trust any mussels I can get here in our landlocked state, though it's the first thing I thought of too.

Thanks for the awesome ideas. The frisée lardon is on the menu. I still need a seafood not fish entree with truffles and I'd like to add truffle to frisée dish so keep ideas coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    For the salad I like frisée (curly endive?) with lardons, poached egg and a vinaigrette made from the bacon drippings

I second this salad. It's probably the best salad I've ever had and really easy to make too.

When I think bistro, I immediately think soup and sandwich or salad and sandwich. What about a lobster, shrimp or crab roll? I've only had truffle once and that was oil on fries so I can't give you any advice on that lol

I would suggest skate wing with beurre noir, another classic, but it's a fish. Try it with scallops (with roe)?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter