Another quick Usuba question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

What is a Kataba sytle Usuba please

Thanks

Alan

just means single bevel... ryoba means double bevel. So, usuba is always kataba... both higashi-gata and kamagata usuba.

just means single bevel... ryoba means double bevel. So, usuba is always kataba... both higashi-gata and kamagata usuba.

I did own a Shigi ryoba kamagata usuba,I know it's not a true usuba but it was sold as an usuba.

I did own a Shigi ryoba kamagata usuba,I know it's not a true usuba but it was sold as an usuba.

I once owned a Shun "Nakiri" which was single-bevel, so really an usuba. Just uninformed knifemaking or semi-clever marketing. Actually, I'm not sure what to really call it as it did not have a true uraoshi.

I am sure the folks at Shun are uninformed but I would have to say the folks at Shigefusa are well informed.

ryoba kamagata usuba makes sense... the name tells you its a double bevel version of the single bevel knife

I once owned a Shun "Nakiri" which was single-bevel, so really an usuba. Just uninformed knifemaking or semi-clever marketing. Actually, I'm not sure what to really call it as it did not have a true uraoshi.

If it did not have urasuki, I would call it nakiri.

yeah... fyi, urasuki is the hollow ground back side and uraoshi is the sharpening method for that side ;)

What is the translation for "suki" ? As in urasuki, garasuki, honesuki. Or does the "suki" mean the same thing on the other knife names?

Back