Quantcast
Help selecting a wa-petty....please. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help selecting a wa-petty....please.

I'm very sorry, was meant in another thread! Dear moderator, could you remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Kinda like purchasing a 16yo kid a ferrari?
    Yep, just like that.
    But I guess hey, if you got it flaunt it?

I'm not much help on vendor advice.
    Its been quite a while since I purchased anything that wasn't from JKI, off the BST forum here, or direct from the maker.
    And personally, I'm happy sticking with that.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

I do not think you want to use a thin edged carbon petty to debone chix & pork shoulders.Thin blades like your Suisin INOX are very good cutters,peelers,slicers for most types of food.Thin profiles glide through food better than thick blades.I would not worry about doing a forward push cut or chop wt. your Suisin esp. on a wooden cutting board.

Where thin blades do not do well is hitting hard things like bone,also you should not twist or tork a thin edge blade.Since you are a lefty you might get a good quality 50/50 boning knife for your deboning duties.

It's great that you want to try carbon,the advantage of carbon is it works well & gets very sharp on the stones.

I like my Heiji at that length, over the thin guys. You should put a microbevel on it though so it doesn't chip.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I like my Heiji at that length, over the thin guys. You should put a microbevel on it though so it doesn't chip.
    That's a really good thought. I understand the concept...but I'll have to find Jon's video on that again before giving it a go.

TX!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Did you buy one?
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Did you buy one?
    No. Just starting a conversation with Jon@JKI.

pulled the trigger...

After talking with Jon (super nice guy, very patient with my noobness) and sleeping on it a couple of nights I decided on the Gengetsu in White #2 @ 180MM. Thought a lot about 150 vs 180 and compared them on the boards I use and decided that since I've gone 240 on the gyuto (probably 270 on the next one), 180 on the petty should be fine...I do very little work "in hand" and what little I do I've been OK doing with my 240 so this should be easier.

Now the 1st wait begins (for the package to arrive)...then the wait for the patina can begin ^_^

Thanks to everyone for responding (and, of course, to Jon for his help)!

Congrats on pulling the trigger Zwiefel.

Let us know how it works out for you once you've had a chance to use it a little.

Unboxing pics...(high-res photos)

Box just arrived from JKI today:

The edge is really difficult to photograph, after about 30 attempts I settled on this shot:

Very pleased with cosmetics, fit/finish, weight/balance, etc. Haven't put it to use yet, will do that with dinner tonight!

Sea scallops sauteed in butter, salad of baby spinach, vine ripened tomatoes, cucumber with homemade dressing of fresh garlic paste/evoo/mustard/lemon juice, and maybe some (frozen) garlic toast.

+ Reply to Thread