Quantcast
Help selecting a wa-petty....please. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help selecting a wa-petty....please.

thats a sweet little knife, congrats. It's exactly what I would have bought if I were in the same market.
    I'm a little jealous.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Test Drive, Check.

I finally got to do a reasonable amount of work with it last night. 5lbs of fruit salad....wanted to give it a good go so I put in some extra time to make nice, small pieces so that a single spoonful could hold a little of everything: 1 whole cantalope, 1 whole pineapple, 3 pears, 1 peach, 2 green apples, 1 quart strawberries, 1 pint blueberries, 1 golden kiwi, 2 oranges...and probably a couple of other things I forgot.

It turned out to be a better test than I first thought as the range of textures and contrast in textures was high, as well as the number of different cutting motions required to prep the different items.

In short, all tasks were performed quite satisfactorily. Since this is my first petty, I got to know a bit about how to use the different parts of the blade for different tasks (not exactly the same distribution as a chef's/gyuto which I'm very accustomed to). Also, b/c of blade height, and the relatively short curve to the tip, I was forced to depart from my usual rock-n-chop/slice motions and to use more pure slicing and push-cutting motions. Going to need some work on my part to get more comfortable and proficient with push-cutting, I still wince everytime I hear the edge smack the board (but at least I'm developing my skills on the stones in parallel ).

I keep wanting to compare it to my last purchase, a 240mm Suisin Inox Honyaki wa-gyuto, but they have very little in common except being wickedly sharp. The Gengetsu glides right through everything, but doesn't have that puppy-dog eagerness and immediacy of the SIH. It seems more calm and self-assured. OK, enough anthropomorphizing.

I'm also liking the burnt chestnut wa-handle more and more. Bit more grippy than the ho-wood that I got on the SIH.

There was already a bit of a patina forming before last night, but it was interesting to see how the patina changed with all those acidic items. lots of blue daubs and streaks below the stainless cladding. The contrast between the patina and the cladding is genius. Good job on that Jon!

Scratch that...good job on everything with this knife!

Now, if I can work up the courage to take it to the stones in a few weeks when it starts to lose a bit of performance. I think I found both the edge bevel and the bevel behind the edge today...first time I felt like I was able to do that with a knife.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

The more I use this knife, the more I like it. This size/shape is incredibly useful, big enough to do most jobs (some more easily than others for sure), small enough to not be unwieldy or constantly in the way on a small board.

Put a new edge on it last weekend, and was actually able to improve the performance vs OOTB, a little bit anyway

This has me thinking about a suji now...seems like the suji is kind of a longer version of the petty (oversimplicfication, the profile has some differences)?

That was a good little review last month, I had missed it somehow.
    Glad you are enjoying the new knife. It sounds like its performs as well for you as the hype would have one believe.
    That is a very handy size knife IMO.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    That was a good little review last month, I had missed it somehow.
    Glad you are enjoying the new knife. It sounds like its performs as well for you as the hype would have one believe.
    That is a very handy size knife IMO.
    Thanks! I don't have the experience you lot do at using these knives much less reviewing them in a way that others will find informative...so I opted for a little humor

Also, forgot to mention it, but I have been particularly pleased with how it cuts cooked proteins. I have long liked serving grilled steaks "Tuscan Style," but most of my other knives didn't have the toothiness to grab + cut the crust reliably so I ended up with the bread knife going at it, which is tiresome. This little guy let me make nice thin, bias slices quite easily. this should help with portion control around here