Chicken on my ghetto smoker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike9

Banned
Reaction score
I did a whole chicken last night on my grill using chunks of apple wood from the property. I seasoned the cavity, trussed it up tight and seasoned the outside with the same mix of salt pepper and cayenne pepper. I removed one grill and moved the other to the center. Lit the two outer burners for indirect heat and placed the drip pan under. 325 degrees and 2-1/2 hrs later the skin was super crispy and the meat was moist and falling off the bone.

Cooked some mini Yukon Gold potatoes in the drippings with some diced onion and garlic. A simple salad of field greens completed the meal.

GEDC0517.jpg

I have a ghetto smoking technique as well. I use an old wok. Maybe pics later.

Thanks - I used the same setup a couple of weeks ago for 3lbs of natural casing dogs I smoked for Coney's. The snap from a smoked casings was worth the effort especially when smothered with chili, mustard and minced onions. I'll get pics of the finished product next time.

GEDC0516-1.jpg

I have a similar routine for my gas grill. I do a smoke box on the far left burner with the meat on the far right side. Only the smoke box burner is lit, on low.

-AJ

What a great way to smoke meat using a gas grill. :thebbq:

I keep meaning to buy a wood/charcoal grill like a Weber for red meats, pork & game. Nothing puts a char on a cut of meat like wood. I watched a show recently where the cook was Korean and had a Korean style grill - looked interesting and would not take long to fabricate with fire bricks some block and a few steel parts.

Back