My first wa handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattorichop

Reaction score
I wanted to share a couple photos of my first attempt at making a wa handle.

I used some Hawaiian koa from burl source. (heirloom, crushed velvet I think he called it)
A piece of honey horn from Jantz which looks more black then honey.
And a copper spacer I had left over from one of my copper tubing and stained glass lamps that I make.

IMG_3383.JPG
IMG_3430.jpg

I must say thanks to Marko, Taz, and Stefan for giving me advice on how to work the block with a metal spacer.
It also helped alot having a mhenry and Stefan handle here to help guide me to my finished product.
Next will be the difficult task of deciding which knife to put it on.

For fun ill ad a photo of one of the many types of lamp that I make.

IMG_6192.jpg

Thanks for looking!

WOW! That is a fantastic first handle, very well done

Looks very nice!! I wish my first Wa looked like that!

I found the same thing with Honey Horn; it's mostly black with a few streaks here and there.\

I used to work in a place that did all sorts of stained glass ornaments, windows, mirrors, sun catchers, etc. I was in the shipping department, but I got to see some cool stuff. Those lamps looks pretty cool, but the copper must be pricey!!!

I love the materials you selected for this handle, and the final product looks top notch.

Looking forward to seeing what you attach it to.

Great job!

That's pretty work! I like the color and sheen choices a lot.

From your picture, it looks like you haven't cut a hole in the handle for a tang. I'm curious how you've designed the handle internally and what your process is going to be for turning blade and handle into knife. ((if I've just misjudged the picture, i'm still curious about how you've assembled the pieces.))

Looks killer, I can't believe it's your 1st. Your lamps look reaaly cool too.

That sure looks nice! And you are brave man, using a premium koa piece for your first attempt ;) So, what will the next one be?

Stefan

Wow! Hard to believe. Really great for any attempt. Never mind first try. Looks good.

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. Im glad most of you seem to like my lamps as well.

Stefan, I think next ill try to make a handle with a beautiful piece of ironwood burl I picked up from Randy Haas.

pkb, you are right I have not drilled the tang slot yet.
I got some great advise from some members here so I put the handle together with a 5/16" wood dowel down the centre to help hold every thing together. I will affix the blade to the handle with epoxy.

I think I might use this handle to replace the handle on my moritaka cleaver.
I will probably make a few more first before I make any decisions.

Very sweet! Way to jump in the deep end. Am I remembering wrong, or did you get some saya nomi and start making sayas too?

Latest posts

Back