Quantcast
Takeda VS Kochi, etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takeda VS Kochi, etc

Takeda VS Kochi, etc

Hello,

Wondering if anyone could help explain the practical and functional differences between Takeda and Kochi gyutos around the 240 size. Looking for a new all-around line knife. If anyone has any other suggestions for a great all-round prep-and-service knife then please let me know, but the rugged kurouchi or some other traditional appearance is an absolute must. Thanks a bunch! Perusing these forums are extremely informative.

well if you like rustic looking kurouchi maybe consider zakuri as well. you can watch the video jon made of them on youtube to get an in depth understanding of Zakuri knives. oh btw, welcome to the forum!

I don't know what you mean by traditional appearance, but the Gengetsu semi-stainless may also fit your needs and is well-liked around here. You might want to add that one to your list as well.

i have two Takedas and a Kochi. i love all three. the Kochis undoubtedly have better QC, however, so i'd probably suggest a Kochi over a Takeda, unless you are willing to risk having to do quite a bit of work to the knife.

A Zakuri has a bit more heft to it, I believe, and so might stand a bit more abuse on the line. Kochis and Takeda are very thin.

Just picked up a Kochi (V2), and while it is thin behind the edge, it is nonetheless quite substantial overall. When I first got the knife, initial impression was how much there was to it...once I started using it, I felt like I was driving a high-end sports car. Seems very finely balanced and quite natural in hand, couldn't be happier so far.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    A Zakuri has a bit more heft to it, I believe, and so might stand a bit more abuse on the line. Kochis and Takeda are very thin.
    240mm zakuri gyutos and 240mm kochi gyutos are both listed at 216 grams

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    240mm zakuri gyutos and 240mm kochi gyutos are both listed at 216 grams
    But the zakuri is way thicker behind the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    But the zakuri is way thicker behind the edge.
    yes they are. i have no actual experience with kochi knives. i would probably purchase a kochi or a zakuri over a takeda just because they have a better blade profile. or atleast a consistent profile. comparing the prices of a zakuri AS steel to a takeda AS steel i really dont understand why takedas cost soo much more.

The Takedas cut like CRAZY. They are a "buy one and you'll get it" kind of knife. But I've not had extensive experience using a Zakuri, I'm sharpening one tomorrow, so I'm excited to see what it's like. Some knives, like the Gengetsu, are just made really well and still cut very good for being somewhat stout--I'm hoping the Zakuri is too!