Leaping Frog Chicken

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Did you know you can cut up a chicken so it looks like a “Leaping Frog?”
Well it was a new one for me.
The idea is to flatten your chicken so that it will cook more evenly, and the shape ends up looking like a frog. Gourmet magazine did a story about it in 2009 and I am just now hearing about it.

Here are some pictures of the technique.

5TrTk.St.117.jpg

1euKwi.St.117.jpg

mRkXn.St.117.jpg

Tqfbm.St.117.jpg

1sAt9V.St.117.jpg

xUtaT.St.117.jpg

PVBks.St.117.jpg

1nnn2S.St.117.jpg

I have more pictures and the recipe here.

that's how i do it on the grill, nice cold beer and just my hands. yummy

Using little quail makes it even more looking like a real frog.

It's a great method that I learned from one of the Argentinian cuisine celeb chef in Australia (on TV) a while ago. Really good method on BBQ where you can put the leg side towards the hot fire and the breast side away from the fire.

looks easier than spatchcocking. I'll have to try this. Summer means grilling all our chicken. The damn bbq pit was 150F today just because it was outside.

looks easier than spatchcocking. I'll have to try this. Summer means grilling all our chicken. The damn bbq pit was 150F today just because it was outside.

Plus you don't lose the meat around the spine, if you are not saving it for stock.

Using little quail makes it even more looking like a real frog.

It's a great method that I learned from one of the Argentinian cuisine celeb chef in Australia (on TV) a while ago. Really good method on BBQ where you can put the leg side towards the hot fire and the breast side away from the fire.

I going to get me some quail! Someone asked me if you could do this with a Turkey, I said sure, if you have a big enough grill.:biggrin:

Be sure to press down on the breast to flatten it. I left that picture out, but it is on my blog.

Back