Found Dog

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Saturday at work I could hear a dog making noises. At first I thought it was a customer with a dog in their car that was tired of waiting. When the sounds continued I discovered they were coming from across the road. It is a two lane highway but people drive pretty fast.

I crossed the road and went down the bank through the blackberries and found a puppy stuck half way through the fence. I thought he lived on the property where he was trying to get through the pasture fence. When I got him loose I put him back on the other side of the fence. He tried to get through a few more times and finally made it through and ended up tangled in the briars.

I thought he would get run over so I picked him up and went through the neighborhood looking for his home. No Luck. Nobody recognizes him. He was pretty skinny and thirsty but otherwise healthy. I took him home and fattened him up a little. Problem is I really like him but the wife is not very fond of the idea of another dog.

Now I am looking for his old home, or maybe a new better home.
For the time being he is hanging out with me here at work. Gets along good with Kirby and seems content to just lay down and watch me. I am calling him Buddy.

He has big feet so I am thinking he will get pretty big. He seems to have grown in the last two days.
1-23.jpg

2-6.jpg

Kirby wanted to check out the new guy.
3-5.jpg

Buddy wanted to wrestle.
4-5.jpg

Thats a good looking pup. Hope you find a home for him.

As an owner of four pups, I say keep him if you don't find his/a home. Kirby needs a new friend.

I really like him.
He is probably the mellowest puppy I have ever seen. Until it's time to play.
He is not a barker but he sure talks a lot. I am not sure what breed of dog he is. Reminds me of the hounds people had when I lived back in the Southeast.
Right now he is curled up under my desk with his head on my foot.

We all know you're going to keep him, Mark.
He's a beautiful dog.

I'm glad Buddy ran into you when he did Eamon.

Cute puppy. I hope you are able to track down his owners or find him a good home.

omg this puppy is so cute. i wish i had a backyard and pet-friendly house :( I hope you find new home for him - good luck!

Very cute. Looks like Kirby is happy to have a friend.

Buddy has been real good company throughout the day today.
He stays with me when we walk around the grounds. Responds well to other dogs and people.
But....he keeps close to me.
Right now he is sleeping under my desk while I am on the computer.
It is going to be tough to let him go. But if I can find him a good home I will do it.
I am going to be real picky about where he goes because I really like him.

Dude, you are so screwed. This is your dog now. The last dog I "rescued" found a great home-MINE! I'm a sucker.

I have grown really fond of Buddy.
But, while I could give him a good home, my wife and I decided that if we found a great home we would let him go.
Otherwise he would become part of our family. My main concern was not being able to give him enough time.
With that said, now to make a short story long.

A few days ago a couple families stopped here on their way to an event a few hours north of us.
We had already closed and I went out to tell them.
We got talking and they turned out to be really enjoyable, nice people.
Then Buddy came to the door of my office to see what was going on.

All of a sudden everyone was going on about how Buddy looked like a younger version of their dog.
A couple years ago they had found a litter of puppies someone had dumped outside of LA.
2 of the puppies were already dead but the others were alive but hungry and thirsty.
They kept one and found homes for the others.

Seeing Buddy they mentioned he would be a great companion for their dog.
That was when I told them he was a stray and I was thinking about finding him a home.
They had to leave to finish up their trip but asked if they could stop by to talk on their way back home.
Over the next few days they called each day to tell me they would really like to have Buddy and when they would be coming back through.

They just showed up a little while ago.
On their phone they showed me photos of their dog which looked like a 75 pound version of Buddy.
They couldn't have looked more alike if they were mother and puppy.
They went on about how much property they have that is fenced and what a great home it is for their dog.
The way they talked about their dog was more like a favorite child.
I don't think I could have given Buddy a better home. So now he is on the road to his new home on a small farm in Northern California.
Here is a photo of Buddy with his new parents. They promised to keep in touch and send photos.
005-5.jpg

Awesome!!! Hey great for you and the dog -and the new owners. I'm sure you still hate to see him go.

I miss him already and it has been less than 2 hours.
But I am happy for Buddy.
When they showed up they had already bought him a new collar and had been dog bed shopping.

Awesome little tale, Mark! I'm sure this was the best situation for everyone, even though I know you wanted to keep him.
The more I get to know you, through this forum, the cooler I think you are.

Congrats to Buddy - sounds like he is going to a great home. Nice job Mark.

Looks like Buddy got a good home. Hope Kirby doesn't get too depressed. They seem like nice people.

Wow some times fate just shows up when you least expect it. Great tear jerker.

Great story, glad it went the way it did. I wish having.a dog were possible for me right now, Buddy seems to be right along the line of what I would be looking for.

Stefan

Looks like I'm not the only one who misses Buddy.
Kirby keeps coming by and checking to see if Buddy is sleeping under my desk.
3-6.jpg

2-7.jpg

1-24.jpg

Mark, that is a heart warming story. You did a great thing, and it looks like you found a great new home for Buddy. I would expect it to be tough for Kirby for a bit. We recently lost one of the two in my avatar....and of course it was super tough on the family, but also on our second dog, who was out of sorts for weeks.

Mark, that is a heart warming story. You did a great thing, and it looks like you found a great new home for Buddy. I would expect it to be tough for Kirby for a bit. We recently lost one of the two in my avatar....and of course it was super tough on the family, but also on our second dog, who was out of sorts for weeks.

Sorry for your loss Neal.

Losing a dog (even when it's more or less expected) is terrible.

Back