Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke Special Order Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i think a better description would be special ordered with custom engraving
    well said...

jon worked very close with me on picking out the ebony handles with blonde horns, the type of steel for each knife, and the size. his wife sara did help me with the engraving.

i also would like to give the credit to jon for my new and absolute love for mioroshi deba. i actually sold my other hon-deba because of how versatile and how much i enjoy using this knife.

also thanks for all the kind words everyone.

i have been using these knives a few weeks now and they have all had a few trips to the sharpening stones. im gonna wait a little while longer before i give my follow up reviews but i can say it looks good for these knives.

Hi Citizen, your knives are beautiful. I'm looking at my first japanese knife purchase and I am probably getting the HD Gyuto....After seeing your pics I'm probably going to opt for the ebony handle. If you ever take any more pics in different types of lighting I'd love to see them.

Also, I'm a beginner sharpener, are there any tips or things to keep in mind specific to this Gyuto?

Thanks!

Love your knives. I have been a fan of Konosuke for along time. My 240 HD is easily my favorite knife. Also great review. I have one question. Having both the white and HD, which do you prefer? Which takes a better edge and holds it longer?

Konosuke, for me, is one of the top 5 makers. They will/can do almost anything you want. Great quality. Excellent performers and great lookers, too. I have 3 and I probably will end up with one or two more before I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    Konosuke, for me, is one of the top 5 makers. They will/can do almost anything you want. Great quality. Excellent performers and great lookers, too. I have 3 and I probably will end up with one or two more before I am done.
    Agreed...after purchasing a Konosuke white#2 gyuto a year ago as a cheaper alternative to the talks of the town-Tadatsuna and Suisin-I was in love with everything about it, so I got a suji to go with it. Just seemed like a few months later, they really blew up and became very popular...and when the HD line became available, they have been one of the most talked about in the past six months.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Having both the white and HD, which do you prefer? Which takes a better edge and holds it longer?
    After using and sharpening the white#2 for a long time, it is one of my favorite steels and I feel so in touch with it...it is brilliant. Part of me has buyers remorse that I went with the HD steel for my upcoming suji because of how much I love the white, but I wanted to differentiate from what I already had.

When my HD finally gets here, I'll be able to give you a direct comparison between the two steels, as Citizen's are double vs single bevels between the two lines. If Bryan is around, he can currently comment on the subtle differences.

I have been wanted a konosuke for a while, I am so jealous. Maybe sometime in the fall....

Really nice pix

Like special order knives, unfortunately for me, 240mm is max. Just places an order Jon for it too. Too bad could not get in on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Hi Citizen, your knives are beautiful. I'm looking at my first japanese knife purchase and I am probably getting the HD Gyuto....After seeing your pics I'm probably going to opt for the ebony handle. If you ever take any more pics in different types of lighting I'd love to see them.

Also, I'm a beginner sharpener, are there any tips or things to keep in mind specific to this Gyuto?

Thanks!
    after speaking with jon for like 2 hours the other day and constant playing around with different stones, i found the method for that particular knife that works the best. i sharpen one side (right side as im right handed) hamaguriba style with the micro bevel and use his method for single bevels only blending the two edges together. i use the beston 500, blue aoto 2k, and arashiyama 6k and it works wonders.

the ebony handle with blonde horn was an easy choice for me as i think it adds to these knives. i am not a big fan of the stock handle the HD's come with unfortunately

thanks for all the kind words guys. i wrote this review about a month ago and will probably do my follow up here soon. i think that these knives have actually taught me quite a bit about sharpening as i get more impressed and enjoy them more and more as the days continue to go by. ill post the follow up on this thread in a few weeks so check it out when you get a chance.

konosuke worked really hard with jon to help me get exactly what i wanted and produced the most exceptional F&F on any knife i have seen in person. they helped me personalize my knives in a way that made me feel was having them make something for me that was one of a kind. i cannot say enough about the quality of the knives and the company

i do not have the white 2 in a gyuto so i would not be able to give a proper comparison but i can say that the white 2 yanagi gets screaming sharp and stays that way for a good amount of time considering the steel. the HD is amazing and takes the edge of a carbon knife. i found that i can get it sharper than i can get some other suji's and petty's ive played with in the past that were carbon steel. its a great knife and enjoyable to use knowing how versatile it is. its also super super thin which i like. for a full comparison i would wait til cadillac gets his and he can do it more justice with them side by side.

one last note, i did a few videos on my phone while i was at work but cannot figure out how to get them from the droid to the computer. when i do i will post them withe some pictures of the fish i get to work with.