Quantcast
wedding band/rings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wedding band/rings

wedding band/rings

In my case, I wear a wedding band. When I know my hands are going to get really messy, I'll take it off. Not sure really why other than it seems easier to wash my hands better without it on.

I'm not concerned with the band itself as its just a simple, smooth gold band.

Maybe its just a way of announcing that I'm a very fortunate man and that I get to cook for my special girl. :biggrin2:

Home cook here, so the pros may have some rules to deal with that I do not. I leave mine on. I usually wash my hands a few times during prep/ cooking, and I slide the ring up and down the finger a little to clean under/ around. If I'm mixing ground beef or something like that I may remove the ring ahead of time, and if not I'll usually pull it off when washing up to make sure I get it cleaned thoroughly.

Some people get weird about it. Years ago (about 1968 or 69) I dislocated my little finger at the first joint after the knuckle playing basketball. When I showed up at work the next day with my finger in a splint and my hand bandaged, I got lots of sympathy, of course, until one of the women in the office asked if I was wearing my wedding ring under all the gauze. She was appalled when I told her I had taken it off to play ball, as I always did. She said that if her husband ever took off his wedding ring, she'd divorce him! Several of the other women agreed, and made it clear that they thought I was a total pig! I was afraid they were going to dislocate another of my somewhat more treasured body parts.

Thank god for women's lib!
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

i always take mine off when cooking, sharpening, etc. So does my wife. We have a ring holders near every sink in our house so we have a safe place to put them down.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i always take mine off when cooking, sharpening, etc. So does my wife. We have a ring holders near every sink in our house so we have a safe place to put them down.
    This is a great idea! I have had to re-make far too many rings for people who took them off to do something and never saw them again.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

i take mine off for sharpening only. i wear mine all day at work and never take it off for anything but sharpening. if i start taking it off for things it'll get lost and that is the worst thing that could happen

I hardly wear mine since my job doesn't allow it. I do put it on when I am out with my wife but mostly I don't wear it. She doesn't seem to mind to much though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    This is a great idea! I have had to re-make far too many rings for people who took them off to do something and never saw them again.
    Count me in that group. I lost one band already, that's one too many. I was sure I put it in a safe place. Yeah, so safe I can't find the darn thing. Yeah, it's safe, safe from me.

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    She was appalled when I told her I had taken it off to play ball, as I always did. She said that if her husband ever took off his wedding ring, she'd divorce him! Several of the other women agreed, and made it clear that they thought I was a total pig! I was afraid they were going to dislocate another of my somewhat more treasured body parts.

Thank god for women's lib!
    I guess that's up to each woman. Mine could careless, I don't have the time or inclination for any reason to not wear it.

I've never worn a ring of any kind, wedding or other. Purely a safety issue. When I married, I offered to have a band tattooed on my finger, but my wife said she understood my reasons and not to bother.