Quantcast
Scared of Sharpening? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared of Sharpening?

I think it was more the "reset button" that you can provide if she actually does mess something up. As far as teaching her during the actual sharpening, good luck.

Sara, as a new sharpener I'd like to refer you to these really great tutorial videos. They should help answer most of your questions and get you going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    YOU try telling your wife how to sharpen and let me know how it goes

I'm here to help, but this is all her
    I'm so with you on this one... Now I just get the reminder now and again... "this knife is getting dull" "Ok" She will let it turn into a butterknife and buy another before she will sharpen it.

Koodoes to Sara for wanting to learn More power to ya

I'm here to help, but this is all her
    Hehe, reminds me of giving my wife golf lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Every time I thin a new knife for the first time. It's a sad day to see the finish and geometry change.
    no, it's a good thing! you are making it your own! i think i'll be able to sharpen again in another week, and the first thing i plan to do is really thin my Kochi, to make it cut how it did when brand new.

you can do it, Sara!

No envy, no meanness, no fear.

That is all. :-)

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    no, it's a good thing! you are making it your own! i think i'll be able to sharpen again in another week, and the first thing i plan to do is really thin my Kochi, to make it cut how it did when brand new.

you can do it, Sara!
    I am making it my own, that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I am making it my own, that's the problem.
    oh, hah!

oh wow! a great moral support here! thank you guys so much ! I agree with all of you... I can always be fearful of sharpening, but f i were to learn about it, it really has to start from somewhere... yes, i might quickly be a sharpening ohimesama (Japanese princess)!

i will take a lot of photos and write up a blog again when I do sharpening... if Jon is a bully or meanie, I will tell on you guys! haha! yay for the KKF moral support <3

Sharpening seems scary at first, but once you try it, it's not too bad. To learn, I used the Sharpie trick to see where the stone was wearing the steel and also looked at how the blade edge met the stone. If it was too steep, it would cut into the stone, but when the edge is right on the stone, that means it's just about the right angle. I just followed the original bevels at first and then went lower at the next sharpenings to help thin the edge. The only times I scratch a blade is if the blade slips off of the stone at the end of the sweep, but that's only when I am in a rush and not paying attention to what I am doing. If you go too low, it will scratch, but that isn't very common for me.

Take lots of pics!! Maybe have Jon make a video!

As a last tip, I find I can touch up with a 2K or 5K stone from time to time and not have to do really major sharpening for quite a while if I do the touch ups. Most people also strop as a touch up, too.

Deal.

+ Reply to Thread