Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kochi 240 kurouchi gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    hey, you're welcome. right back atcha, for the DT ITK. i just thinned the Kochi significantly (boy does my hand hurt, but the "project on hold" itch is gone, so it's a good tradeoff), and i feel like i should send it back to you for another round.
    Wow, mine seems pretty thin other than near the spine...did you thin the whole blade or even more behind the edge?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Wow, mine seems pretty thin other than near the spine...did you thin the whole blade or even more behind the edge?
    mine had chipped at the heel fairly significantly, and i hadn't thinned it as much as i could have when i originally repaired it (i'm not as timid was i was a year ago). my thinning was just fixing that, and i just thinned up to the cladding.

Just real fast, how do you pronounce "Kochi"? After speaking with a few knife fanatics I've learned that my japanese phonetics could use some polishing. Is it "Ko-chee" or "ko-Kee," etc?
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

I could be corrected here, but I believe Jon said Ko-chee...Ko-kee is the man with Japanese Chef's Knife--oh yeah, my pronunciations leave something to be desired as well. Good luck in school, sounds like you have the right attitude going in, keep it up when the going gets tough!
    Cheers
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    Just real fast, how do you pronounce "Kochi"? After speaking with a few knife fanatics I've learned that my japanese phonetics could use some polishing. Is it "Ko-chee" or "ko-Kee," etc?
    Kochi is 'koh-chee' or こち

Anyone want to chime in on the sticktion of this blade? Remember Jon saying it's a 50/50 grind which was a surprise but that's probably what he asked for...

So far I have had no issues with potatoes...and I have been cutting everything I can bring home from the farmer's market. I think the kurouchi finish helps, but more than that I think is because of the geometry of the blade. Grind may be 50/50, but it gets extremely thin, so hard for me to see. Not sure if these pics will help, but tried to get a decent shot of the choil.

Mine does not have sticking issues at all. Another reason I love this king of KU finish

I've always read about Kochi geometry; which is enticing in itself. This talk of having a profile comparable to the Sab or Masamoto is very intriguing... although, in the pics it looks taller and more blunt at the tip end.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I've always read about Kochi geometry; which is enticing in itself. This talk of having a profile comparable to the Sab or Masamoto is very intriguing... although, in the pics it looks taller and more blunt at the tip end.
    it's both of those things. great knife, though.