Quantcast
Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou?

Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou?

I pulled the trigger on a new Konosuke HD 240mm Wa-Gyutou in Ebony today after returning my Miyabi Birchwood.

This is going to be my main workhorse for prep, but I was looking at their pettys for a good option while on the line.

Out of personal experience, would anyone recommend a 150 vs a 180 paired with a 240mm?

Im leaning towards the 180, but its out of stock.

Thanks in advance.

For me the Kono HD 180 petty and 240 gyuto are excellent.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

I got the 150mm(SS ,saved a few $$) to compliment my 240 HD and I'm very happy,but I don't think you'll go wrong either way.. Enjoy!

honestly, i really like the 150mm HD petty. if i want a longer knife, i'll grab a gyuto, but the 150mm easily takes the place of a paring knife, whereas a longer petty can be a bit awkward in that role. you can't go wrong with either length, though.

Thanks for the responses. My biggest concern is that during the lunch shift I cut a lot of protein/sandwiches on the line, so I was worried the 150 my might be a bit short and my Gyutou may be a bit long for the line putting the 180 about inbetween. I may be underestimating the length of the 150 though, I've never owned larger than 120, perhaps it could tackle the sandwiches with ease.

150 should be able to handle sandwiches, i would think, but if you have doubts, get the 180.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    150 should be able to handle sandwiches, i would think, but if you have doubts, get the 180.
    Yeah I would imagine so, we're just all farm to table so the bread size and menu change daily, so we will see ha. Thanks again.

From the sound of your use you might actually consider the 210, Kono's run pretty short. I dont think I'd want less than 180 though.
    That said, you CAN do just about anything with the 150.

To me its one of those things where if you owned a 150 alreaedy then sure, just use it. But if you are buying anyway... something a bit longer might be better suited.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

my 150 Kono HD is about the same size as my Shun 6 inch utility (and the Kono is much nicer [at least i think so, the fiancé prefers the Shun, but what does she know?]), so i'm not sure that the length thing is accurate with the smaller knives. the Kono 270 gyuto i once owned ran small, but the 300 Kono suji i know have is exactly the length of the 300 Yoshihiro yanagi i have.

oh, it could be that the suji/petty lengths run more true to size, I dont own a kono petty. I was basing that on the fact that my gyutos have been pretty short for the stated size.
    If that's the case it woudnt be so bad then. Still shorter than I would prefer I think, but not as bad as I was imagining.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

+ Reply to Thread