Quantcast
Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou?

120 and a 210. I have a gesshin ginga 120 for paring and a inexpensive 210 Tojiro DP petty for the line. SS for the line is nice to have.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skewed View Post
    120 and a 210. I have a gesshin ginga 120 for paring and a inexpensive 210 Tojiro DP petty for the line. SS for the line is nice to have.

Just my opinion.
    Yeah, the HD line is half stainless half carbon (maybe more on the stainless side) which is nice. For some reason, and I know it's crazy, I kind of want to get a carbon and maybe force a patina before using it on the line.

I'll probably get an HD, but it's a thought.

Normally, I'd say go carbon, but if it's a dedicated line knife, maybe stainless or semi is the way to go. Also, I don't agree that a 150 can replace a parer. Peeling with any petty is rather uncomfortable. The heel is squared and pronounced. I would go 180 or 210. I find 210 to be the perfect line knife.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by skewed View Post

Just my opinion.
    I agree with this idea...120 and 210. I have a 120 and 150 petty, and the 150 never gets used. I find it to be a very awkward length.

I have several petty-type knives in the 120-220 mm range. I use 210+ for most finer work unless I need a really short paring knife. I'd pick any of the laser-types: Ginga, Suisin, etc. although the somewhat heftier ones are nice, too.

Yeah, but I just ordered the 240mm Gyutou, so it just feels like getting a 210 is almost a bit unnecessary being only about an inch less in length. I will definitely get a 120, or perhaps even a bit smaller for paring when I get the funds. If I were to get the 210 petty, I almost feel like I should have gotten the 270mm Gyutou.

Well, Konosukes do run a little short but then so do their pettys. The gyutos will be 230 or so on the edge and a 210 petty will be around 200 on the edge. That's 15% difference. Anyway, I find that the main difference is the blade height. Tall blades are more clumsy for certain jobs. That said, I use a 240-260 gyuto mostly and my next most used knife is a 220 mm suji/petty. I'll use a paring knife for coring strawberries or something like that but that's it. Although I'd rather have a 240+ gyuto, I'd even say a 210 gyuto and a 210 suji are still complementary.