Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kumawins

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a new Konosuke HD 240mm Wa-Gyutou in Ebony today after returning my Miyabi Birchwood.

This is going to be my main workhorse for prep, but I was looking at their pettys for a good option while on the line.

Out of personal experience, would anyone recommend a 150 vs a 180 paired with a 240mm?

Im leaning towards the 180, but its out of stock.

Thanks in advance.

For me the Kono HD 180 petty and 240 gyuto are excellent.

I got the 150mm(SS ,saved a few $$) to compliment my 240 HD and I'm very happy,but I don't think you'll go wrong either way.. Enjoy!

honestly, i really like the 150mm HD petty. if i want a longer knife, i'll grab a gyuto, but the 150mm easily takes the place of a paring knife, whereas a longer petty can be a bit awkward in that role. you can't go wrong with either length, though.

Thanks for the responses. My biggest concern is that during the lunch shift I cut a lot of protein/sandwiches on the line, so I was worried the 150 my might be a bit short and my Gyutou may be a bit long for the line putting the 180 about inbetween. I may be underestimating the length of the 150 though, I've never owned larger than 120, perhaps it could tackle the sandwiches with ease.

150 should be able to handle sandwiches, i would think, but if you have doubts, get the 180.

150 should be able to handle sandwiches, i would think, but if you have doubts, get the 180.

Yeah I would imagine so, we're just all farm to table so the bread size and menu change daily, so we will see ha. Thanks again.

From the sound of your use you might actually consider the 210, Kono's run pretty short. I dont think I'd want less than 180 though.
That said, you CAN do just about anything with the 150.

To me its one of those things where if you owned a 150 alreaedy then sure, just use it. But if you are buying anyway... something a bit longer might be better suited.

my 150 Kono HD is about the same size as my Shun 6 inch utility (and the Kono is much nicer [at least i think so, the fiancé prefers the Shun, but what does she know?]), so i'm not sure that the length thing is accurate with the smaller knives. the Kono 270 gyuto i once owned ran small, but the 300 Kono suji i know have is exactly the length of the 300 Yoshihiro yanagi i have.

oh, it could be that the suji/petty lengths run more true to size, I dont own a kono petty. I was basing that on the fact that my gyutos have been pretty short for the stated size.
If that's the case it woudnt be so bad then. Still shorter than I would prefer I think, but not as bad as I was imagining.

120 and a 210. I have a gesshin ginga 120 for paring and a inexpensive 210 Tojiro DP petty for the line. SS for the line is nice to have.

Just my opinion.

120 and a 210. I have a gesshin ginga 120 for paring and a inexpensive 210 Tojiro DP petty for the line. SS for the line is nice to have.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, the HD line is half stainless half carbon (maybe more on the stainless side) which is nice. For some reason, and I know it's crazy, I kind of want to get a carbon and maybe force a patina before using it on the line.

I'll probably get an HD, but it's a thought.

Normally, I'd say go carbon, but if it's a dedicated line knife, maybe stainless or semi is the way to go. Also, I don't agree that a 150 can replace a parer. Peeling with any petty is rather uncomfortable. The heel is squared and pronounced. I would go 180 or 210. I find 210 to be the perfect line knife.....

Just my opinion.

I agree with this idea...120 and 210. I have a 120 and 150 petty, and the 150 never gets used. I find it to be a very awkward length.

I have several petty-type knives in the 120-220 mm range. I use 210+ for most finer work unless I need a really short paring knife. I'd pick any of the laser-types: Ginga, Suisin, etc. although the somewhat heftier ones are nice, too.

Yeah, but I just ordered the 240mm Gyutou, so it just feels like getting a 210 is almost a bit unnecessary being only about an inch less in length. I will definitely get a 120, or perhaps even a bit smaller for paring when I get the funds. If I were to get the 210 petty, I almost feel like I should have gotten the 270mm Gyutou.

Well, Konosukes do run a little short but then so do their pettys. The gyutos will be 230 or so on the edge and a 210 petty will be around 200 on the edge. That's 15% difference. Anyway, I find that the main difference is the blade height. Tall blades are more clumsy for certain jobs. That said, I use a 240-260 gyuto mostly and my next most used knife is a 220 mm suji/petty. I'll use a paring knife for coring strawberries or something like that but that's it. Although I'd rather have a 240+ gyuto, I'd even say a 210 gyuto and a 210 suji are still complementary.

Back