Quantcast
School Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Advice

School Advice

Hello all,

You guys have been instrumental in providing me with knowledge and tips on my knife obsession and I feel like I've learned quite a bit in this section. Well, I've recently left my job as a line cook in order to further my education at the CIA. In fact, I'm packing as we speak and I leave for NY at the end of this week. Which brings me to my question.

Does anyone have any tips on school and life that would be of particular importance at this moment? Any sage advice or useful wisdom would be appreciated, even if its not directly school related. I love learning from the masters and you guys have already taught me so much. Thank you.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

One of the biggest things that helped me was keeping an open mind in regards to how things where tought. Each one of my instructors had a different way of doing any one task. By keeping open to each task I was able to follow the words of my first instructor, "Learn everything you can, take parts of each style and make it your own". I must have learned a dozen ways to scramble an egg. Each kitchen I was in after school did things different from the first one but because I learned so many ways I was able to adapt to that Chef's views and do a workable job very quickly.

Try everything without hessitation, rarely will it bite you in the rear.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Great advice Dc,

Don't party to much. There is enough time for that later. Learn as much as you can. Work harder on stuff you don't understand, you will become a master of it when you do.

Good luck. You are going to a great school.
    Chewie's the man.

You can come and see you Masamoto HC up here! The area is a great place to hang out in for a couple of years, a lot to see and do.

Appreciate the tips guys. Pit, how's that knife treating you? I hope you received it in excellent condition.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

I've had a few externs from the C.I.A. work for me at the club. When you get to that point, let me know if there is any interest.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

DC has given some very sound advice. Remember you're paying for the knowledge they're offering. Embrace the opportunity. Take everything they're giving you, digest it, and make it part of your own knowledge. Maybe every detail that's offered won't be perfectly suited for your every situation, but somewhere down the line, you will be faced with an opportunity and you will draw upon something you never thought you would.

You will probably know a whole lot more about good knives than the instructors. Keep quiet about it. Let them do the teaching. And it would probably be best to leave your good knives at home, at least for a while.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's not looking dumb, and it's not nerdy. Education is expensive--get your money's worth. During lectures go ahead and take that seat in the front row that everyone is avoiding--you'll be able to see and hear better. And the instructor will be able to judge if he's making sense to your or not. Make use of the library and the internet. If one author doesn't explain something in a way you can understand, a second author may make things perfectly clear. If the instructor asks for volunteers, stick that hand up! It's one-on-one training.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

You'll get out what you put in. Make the most of it Learn everything you can, don't be afraid to try anything and everything, its all about the learning don't be afraid to fail(not a class) but by trying and having something come out not great you'll learn alot in the process. Be humble and teachable even if you feel you know a better way, listen and follow what you are told you can do it your way on your time.(I wish one of my cooks would remember that for more than a 1/2hr) You've already gotten some really good advice so I'll shut up now. Good luck. I'm glad I went to school and for what I learn and the opportunites I had that I wouldn't have gotten had I just worked two full time jobs or one full and two part time. My road was tough I had a wife and two young boys when I started school plus working the line full time at night. I am very glad I worked my tail off to make it work though good luck to you.