Eshua

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshua

Reaction score
Some of you may remember these from other threads. TY to BST.

Here We go 240's

20120725_185353.jpg

20120725_191623.jpg

Adam redid this Hiromoto

The grind on this one makes it ok at everything and exceptional at not much, but if I wasn't going to spend the money to trust an exceptional maker...blue super seems way more useful than white. Its exceptional handle substantial grind, and ability to rock chop makes it a favorite for friends and family.

20120725_191100.jpg

DT Western from chuck

The western handle seems to slow me down even though it feels very nice. Sharpens with fewer strokes than almost anything I have...grind is better on hard sweet potatoes than anything I have and still almost no flex. I tend to leave it in the back of the house because I don't enjoy the western handle when I'm in the weeds.

20120725_191117.jpg

Carter from Mark

Working a lot better after TK's pm pushed me into doing some catch up thinning after a year of use. The edge dies pretty fast...although this is probably 90% user error, and there is a little flex which forces me to avoid torque ...but between the perfect handle size, profile, and grind. This is my best all around.

20120725_191532.jpg

Fowler

Needs a good thinning to be a really good for everything, but its easy to sharpen, flat like I want and my main knife for carving on line.

20120725_190804.jpg

Watanabe Petty, I didn't really enjoy this knife for the first year. Watching Jon's videos about knives with a built in thinning bevel really changed my mind. Even though this is a fairly good petty it almost lives with the dishwashers because they are awesome and clean all my shrimp and ginger on the weekends, and sharpening this style is so enjoyable that I don't mind getting it back dull on Monday morning.

20120725_190855.jpg

Some cheapy tosa knife from Japanese wood worker, its my backup shimp knife when Fernando has the Watanabe.

20120725_191659.jpg

Carter western deba. It does 3dz whole chicken, 8 black cod, and 2 salmon a week. Its not great for clean cuts, and I don't love anything about it except that my other knives stay sharper when they avoid all the bones. Rather have a good honsuki and real deba, but I've spent enough in the last year lol.

Re-posts from other threads, but might as well consolidate.

009.jpg

014.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

These are all 2nds from my retired sushi chef.

Slicers are Suisin Doi in Blue.... I think...

Aji and Usuba I have no idea.

There are a few other beaters at work...one giant zombie killer deba that's too chiped to use, some old shuns that I leave at home when I'm drunk enough that I know I'll leave dirty in the sink, but these are the ones that go to work every day.

Beautiful knives! Very nice collection, best part is that it sounds like almost are all being used.

nice knives! i just borrowed a DT very similar to that from Pensacola Tiger, and i think it's the best stainless gyuto i've used. really nice, and a standout in your collection! thanks PT!

Yes, Doi blues. At least the kanji match those on the back of mine. Judging by the profile I guess these knives have been used for a while.

Yes, Doi blues. At least the kanji match those on the back of mine. Judging by the profile I guess these knives have been used for a while.

they look like they have been sharpened for a specific style (those tall tips). i like tall tips, so they look good to me! i imagine (and this is pure imagination) that they smell like an old drawer of German automobile tools. :)

Lol auto's

More like fish and blowtorch....those are not ebony handles hehe.

As to shape. It seems the same to me as a scimitar...more curve does more cutting for you ... just have to keep your elbow a little higher ... which is easy for me at 6'4".
It was all Kazu San's preference...I just don't muck with it more than needed.

More like fish and blowtorch....those are not ebony handles hehe.

hah, i know that smell. i swear that whoever handled my Minzuo had a great deal of sashimi before he put the handle on. :)

Latest posts

Back