Japanese Knives A basic question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day, after looking inside a broken wa handle--why is there a horn ferrule on wa handles?

I mean, everything else about these knives screams functional beauty--but if the handle is meant to shrink over time, and get nasty, knocked off and replaced a few times in the knife's life, why bother with the horn? Whats the function?

Can't believe I didn't have a solid answer for this, so I am hoping you will. I really hope it's not "because they are pretty".

Probably tradition. Like Pensacola Tiger said, to keep the wood from splitting and it may have been the only readily available material they had.

Of course that would be pure speculation on my part.

Cant imagine it is just for installation, there are much cheaper and easier low tech ways around that.

Cant imagine it is just for installation, there are much cheaper and easier low tech ways around that.

Old habits die hard. I think Kalaeb, JC and PT are on the right track.

Eamon, it's not just for installing the handle, it's to keep the handle from splitting during use as well. European knives have metal ferrules, but I'd imagine that Japanese knives have horn ferrules from either tradition, or just because it was available.

Now, yes, a hundred years ago, maybe not, short of a metal band to keep it from splitting.

But isn't that why they used Ho wood? Because it doesn't split?

I mean, not to be argumentative, just trying to make sense of it. Like the hollow backside doesn't just make it sharper or cut better, but it reduces drag. It seems that extra insurance against splitting in a wood that is chosen to basically never split, and be knocked off and trashed if it does seems a bit unworth dealing with the horn. I mean, a brick of ho wood is cheaper than adding a horn ferrule to a handle, so it's not really resource-effective, whether it is money or goods. And it is a serious hassle with hand tools compared to just making a wood handle.

ho wood doesnt split over time or when it dries out too much... however, it still can split when you put a hot tang inside of it. The horn makes installation and removal possible without breaking the handle and helps strengthen that area during use.

Hmm. Well, I assume that if anyone knew of another reason it'd be you.

That does seem to be a bit excessive to me. You'd think they'd just put a metal collar/jacket around the wood to support it while they are burning the tang in, and then re-use it for the rest of them.

It is pretty though.

no... the wood doesnt heal after blade installation.... the horn needs to stay on. Also, the wood can become loose after a while. The horn keeps the fit tight.

Back