Before and after thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
Sharpening that is.

If you have photos of some very beaten knives that youve fixed and are shining now, please post before and after.

Good closeups welcome!

It doesnt really matter if its victorinox or custom, the amount of work is, the more the better :lol2:

NenoxKiritsuketip.jpg

NenoxKiritsuke.jpg

I dont remember if I posted thse? Very very old project.
I really like the knife. Would not pay 500 dollars for it though!

Nice, is that the Neonhi wa kiritsuke?

Thanks, No hehe its not sharpened but I figured blade looks more sexy with that kinda gimmick up there! :)

Thank you, Bieniek! I was wondering because the purpose of a kiritsuke tip is strength, and sharpening would considerably weaken it, I guess.

From the photo you dont get the idea, but this knife is thick. Its like 3mm at heel going down to 2mm at the tip if I remember correctly, which might not be.

This is a knife that i did my best to restore. i put about 5 hours into it by the end of the project. we stole it from my wife's chef and i fixed it up as his birthday present. the 2 before pictures do not do justice to how bad of shape this knife was in. it was bent, had rust all over, the handle was dirty and not pretty, and worst of all, if you laid the blade edge flat on a cutting board, the middle had a large enough oversharpened area that you could literally push a quarter through with ease. i had to grind down the heel and tip section to get it to the point that it was flat enough to begin work. i used quite a bit of sandpaper, a DMT XXC, a beston 500, bester 1200, blue aoto 2k, gesshin 4k, arashiyama 6k, kitayama 8k and like 5 band-aids (the blade slipped during the restoration and cut a big gash into my index finger, probably should have gotten stitches and would have probably lost a finger if it was even moderately sharp). after polishing the blade i sanded down the handle and re-oiled it with mineral oil, orange oil, and my homemade wa-wax.

this was my first job but gave me a taste of how gratifying a restoration project is. i would have done it differently now but this was a great learning piece for me. if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask :D

IMG_20110922_223449.jpg

IMG_20110922_223442.jpg

110.jpg

1082.jpg

1072.jpg

1052.jpg

103.jpg

Snips great job! Single bevel are so time consuming, hope the owner liked it?!

Yes! Glad to see this thread is alive.

I hope that Yanagiba gets some use!

Yes! Glad to see this thread is alive.

Without help of you and others, it might not be.

Im sure I posted this, but I really like the result, as it was the blades restoration with polishing, tip rebuilding, heel lowering, sharpening.
and just after few weeks it got destroyed again.

MacGyutotip.jpg

Macgyuto.jpg

Damn, I have to take more photos.

the worst part about that yanagi was the fact that its left handed so my typical sharpening that i do with my yanagi got kinda thrown out the window. it was given to him by a chef that he really admired in new york and its pretty old. when we gave it to him, he actually had tears in his eyes. it was over sharpened in the middle by someone that didn't know what he was doing over and over.

Back