Suj/Yanagii Recommendation plz

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMel

Reaction score
Hi Guys, time for some help in spending money haha!! I've filled out the answers and look forward to your recommendations! Lengthwise, I am still trying to make up my mind between a 300mm or a 270mm.. This is going to be my first dedicated slicer, will be looking to get another in the not too distant future (read "Marko"). BTW, I wouldn't mind getting a second hand one if something good comes up :)

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Sujihiki or Yanagiba

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Not replacing but just adding to the kit, been doing alot more fish and meat prep, need the length mostly.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- Not an important point for me, I'm more functionality over form kinda guy.
Edge Quality/Retention- Hiro AS was great, Gesshin Ginga was not as good but much easier to sharpen. Would prefer something in between? If I had to choose, It'll be ease of sharpening.

What grip do you use?

Pinch, Finger-point, sometimes hammer

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

Anything that gets the job done. Push-cutting most of the time, rock chop for herbs.

Where do you store them?

Saya or sheath and in my tool bag.

Have you ever oiled a handle?

No, but I have oiled my chopping board and a saya

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

Poly at work, generic wooden board (from asian market) at home.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Stones, if really in a pinch then an IKEA ceramic rod lol.

Have they ever been sharpened?

YES

What is your budget?

Below AUD250 with shipping.

What do you cook and how often?

I'm on larder/grill, sometimes butcher. Cook at least 6 days a week lol.

I vote for the Yanagi,it's in a diff. class a truely fine piece of steel.They are alot of fun to sharpen as well.I prefer 270 feel comfortable wt. that length.Cutting Sashimi & Sushi topping.300 is a popular size as well.

I can deff. reccom.either of the Yanagi I own.Suisin 270 White Steel. Aritsugu 270 Blue Steel.I think they are both over 250 AUD these days,not when I bought them though.

I have not looked lately,maybe I will to see if you can get a carbon Yanagi within your buget.I have sharpened other's Yanagi's including the stainless Shun & the Mac.The hollow grinds are very shallow not even in the same ballpark as my carbons.I actually like the Mac. better than the Shun.

I am not knocking Sugi's,I am sure alot of people like their Sugi's.But get yourself a carbon Yanagi:knife:

Carbonext. You won't have a sharpening learning curve. Cheap and works great.

Depends what you plan to use this on. Suji is going to be much much easier to pick up and use immediately. Yanagis can be fun but they aren't easily used for all of the same tasks. I remember I had a yanagi and thought I'd try to carve a big beef roast with my cool new "slicer". Man, the horrible steering that I had. I didn't care to invest a ton of time into learning to use that knife in a way it wasn't even designed to be used (though it certainly can be done, and would still be pretty cool, haha).

Carbonext. You won't have a sharpening learning curve. Cheap and works great.

I was actually contemplating the CarboNext as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had anything else in mind lol.

I have never used or sharpened a Carbonext yet.Alot of people seem to like them & the price is good for a first Japan blade.The thing about Sugi's in a commercial kit. is when they are used & sharpened alot because they are thin to begin with,they get real thin after a while.

Yes a Yanagi is a slicer,for prime rib etc. you need a carving knife,not a fish blade.I've used for seared meats,but mostly fish.For cutting sushi rolls I like a thin gyuto wt. a damp towel on the board to wipe the blade.

Konosuke HD or SS suji.300mm go big or go home... :D

Grab suisin aoniko (blue 2) yanagi from Frank ... very good deal..

Grab suisin aoniko (blue 2) yanagi from Frank ... very good deal..

Whereabouts?? BTW do you know of anywhere else in Sydney that sells J-knives besides Chef's Armoury? Quite overpriced I think..

Depends what you plan to use this on. Suji is going to be much much easier to pick up and use immediately.

But also in the sense that using a good yanigiba sort of requires its own space; like, it's time to cut now. Suji and gyuto seem more functional to me and so you grab it a cut something immediately.

I have a 220 shig slicer, 240 misono, 240 inox, 270, 300 blue yanigiba - so addressing size, I have to say that the 270 gets more use and is more immediate. The 300 (kengata style) comes out more on special occasions and feels a little big to me.

If you have good pricing down under on suisin you know you will generally get excellent f&f. I also like the challenge of sharpening a single bevel, so if you are fascinated by cutting edges and traditions, I would go 270 yani. Besides, we all know you will get all of these blades eventually.

Is it worth trying to slice thick steak after searing/cooking with a yanagiba? My German 8" slicer -- some day very soon soon to be be replaced by a 150-180 petty or funi -- is very sharp but I find it doesn't make a very good slice of rare or medium-rare steak or roast. The way the yanagi lasered throught the loin raw has me convinced it will do a pretty good job, and at 1½" it shouldn't steer. What do you think?

I believe most steering comes from improper use. Single bevel knives are for the most part for one-sided cutting and work best for this though, with some pride, I can say that my bigger, thinner usuba can crosscut a carrot, center cut, with no crackling. I think for protein slicing of any type, one-sided, the technique is to use high shear/down-pressure ratio and this will not steer. (Gee...I guess that's why these knives tend toward the long side.)

I think much of it is cultural.Japanese use single bevel for all kinds of cuts.Westerners are used to 50/50 blades.I like the yanagi for seared meats,steak,pork & chicken.Because they have such a wide shinoge line it is a one sided affair.

They are specialized knives unsuited for certain types of cutting.I was used to double bevels even slicing sashimi.When I got my first quality yanagi about 10 yrs. ago there was no turning back.Wt. Sashimi & sushi topping when you learn how to control the blade you can make all kinds of cuts.Perfect teared lines of Sashimi.Thick or paper thin sushi topping.

There is a learning curve for sharpening,however once you learn it SB are fun to sharpen.,your fingerpads fit perfect in the hollow grind,only one bevel to sharpen & take off the burr on the stone as well easy peasy japanesy:)

Now that I seem to becoming an old fart,ah make accellerating into a senior citizen.I am more right biased I even turned my assem.white steel gyuto into a single bevel

Is it worth trying to slice thick steak after searing/cooking with a yanagiba? My German 8" slicer -- some day very soon soon to be be replaced by a 150-180 petty or funi -- is very sharp but I find it doesn't make a very good slice of rare or medium-rare steak or roast. The way the yanagi lasered throught the loin raw has me convinced it will do a pretty good job, and at 1½" it shouldn't steer. What do you think?

Note To Self: a 300 mm yanagiba works exceptionally well for this purpose. My education continues.

Thanks for all the advice guys!! Keep them coming!

I bought both to be honest with you.

Somehow cutting roasts or raw meat doesnt fit my feeling of what yanagiba should be doing.

So I have a slicer for slicing all the red stuff, and yanagi to cut fish.

Plus as Seth mentioned, slicer is more versatile somehow.
Yeah, faster to pick up and just cut something without too much fuss.

Sugi's are slicers,for a person not using & sharpening all the time,It will do the job & they are versatile.I went through 2 Masa carbon sugi's at work over the yrs.They worked great till I wore them down,the tips got so thin it's hard to sharpen without wearing thin the skin on your fingerpads.

But like I said for for home use that's not even a factor.For a more all around slicer the Suji maybe a good choice.But if you ever feel like expanding your horizon holding a yanagi in your hand is a diff. experience.

I'll prolly get both haha at some point in time but I'm swinging more towards a Suji right now, just cause I have absolutely 0 experience sharpening a single bevel.

I skipped the logic and jumped in. But I understand; my singles probably won't get on the stones until I have the chance to take a sharpening class in Pennsylvania or California. :)

It is a good idea not to put it to the stones until you take a class or use some of the tutorals for sharpening single bevels.But once you learn it you will have edges unsurpassed in many knives.

My favorite knives to sharpen are my carbon single bevel's.

Thats why it good to get some chea single bevel from ebay or something. Just to give you idea of what its like, cause your goal is pretty similar, just have to learn few new tricks, no black magic.

My favourite knives to sharpen are all my knives.

Back