What would you do if you got "THE" Call?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customfan

Reaction score
What would you do if you actually got a call from the Kramer Lottery?

Ever since I started "Knife Nutting" I have wanted a Kramer and I have the utmost respect for his abilities as a knife maker, I think he is up there with the best. :thumbsup:

But lately it feels like i've been waiting forever on the list, at current prices I don't know if I could afford one if I ever got "the" Call (or E-mail I guess).

I keep getting e-mails and there are more "ready mades" and "auctions" but the last lottery was in March? Does anyone know how many names they pull and what our chances are?

Anyone? :(

I used to be all gung ho on Kramer but I am getting to the point where I think I would rather spend the money on several knives from some of the vendors on this site than burn it on one knife. Scott's experience also is a little disappointing too when you ask for something specific (ie type of damascus or style of knife) and the vendor won't do it for you. My feeling would be that if I had to wait three years for a knife and I am paying several thousand for it that it be what I want and if I have to wait another few months for him to produce the Damascus billet then so be it. I doubt Hoss, Bill, Pierre, Randy x2, Will or Michael Rader / David Lisch would be that way with a customer.

I don't hold anything against him for marketing his product well or for garnering the price he gets, But I see the vendors here putting out a product that I want just as bad if not more (not to mention fantastic Japanese producers that I could dress up with a new handle if need be). I also don't foresee that the resale value will hold out long term.

Well, I got the call as well and I am just not interested anymore. For the money, I tend to want to support our local guys. I think if I spent that kind of money, I would quickly think, *** did I just spend my money on? I could have gotten three green eggs, four custom knifes, another dog and a lifetime of vet care, and paid off my car loan. Just my personal thing of course; everyone's priority is different...

I feel the same way... I was just feel a bit dissapointed with the whole experience thats all! I completely agree... Support our knifemakers I say!

I recently had a really good experience with Randy H., Pierre and Bill B. I cant say enough good things about them (and hope to do the same with others in the future) If they are willing to work with us... Well, the answer is right here, isnt it?

:viking:

I'd buy it, wait awhile and then flip it. Having a Kramer holds no interest for me.

I wouldn't go for it...but that's not saying a lot as I've never been a Kramer fan (caveat...I've never owned one...only spent about 10 minutes with a custom once). IF...in a dream world I had the $$ set aside for one, I'd be ordering even more from the guys here on KKF.

I've never had the desire to own one of his knives.

If I had the cash to drop I would put it in a 521 plan for my kids education.

I will be the first to admit when I first got into high end knives I put my name on the list, but now I know a little better (not much, but a little more than I did).

I'd give the spot to someone on here who wanted it.
Or I'd flip it.

You just dropped the cash on a Burke so I will assume that money is not an issue.My Salty version meiji in 52100 was the best cutter I have owned and I have owned a couple of knives.There was a lot of name dropping in a few posts back and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I know Bob's grind/geometry in the custom I received was as good as it gets.That's just my personal opinion.Now as for the Turd he sent Scott,I seen it...... and sh!t should not have happened from any knife maker,just flat out BS!! So with that said I would most definitely order a Salty version in 52100 again if was in the market.

I'd buy as many as I could afford and put em on eBay the next day....Ryan

You just dropped the cash on a Burke so I will assume that money is not an issue.My Salty version meiji in 52100 was the best cutter I have owned and I have owned a couple of knives.There was a lot of name dropping in a few posts back and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I know Bob's grind/geometry in the custom I received was as good as it gets.That's just my personal opinion.Now as for the Turd he sent Scott,I seen it...... and sh!t should not have happened from any knife maker,just flat out BS!! So with that said I would most definitely order a Salty version in 52100 again if was in the market.

Just out of curiosity, what was about that knife that made an impression on you?

We all seem to have evolved from German, to Japanese and some to US made knives, so we have seen many knives and can evaluate a knife by more than just a name of the maker, no?

To me, a profile on Kramer is way off (tried one and could not get used to it or understand it) and geometry is off (too much flex on the spine in the front 1/3). The grind was OK. I have no doubts that the knife has a great HT, but if a profile is not to your liking, how can one use the knife effectively? I would not be able to. Knowing what we know about knives it would make it even harder to justify money spent, unless you resell it for a profit.

That said, I admire Bob Kramer as a craftsman and his attention to detail.

Just my 2c.

M

Just out of curiosity, what was about that knife that made an impression on you? We all seem to have evolved from German, to Japanese and some to US made knives, so we have seen many knives.

To me, profile on Kramer is off (tried one and could not get use to it or understand it) and geometry is off (too much flex in the front 1/3). I have no doubts that the knife has a great HT, but ifa profile is not to your liking, how can you use the knife effectively? I would not be able to, and knowing what we know about knives, would make it even harder to justify money spent, unless you turn around and sell it.

Just my 2c.

M

The second one that was made was not a Kramer profile,it was Scott's profile.Mine had only the first inch with any annoying flex.The grind/geometry on mine spot on. I wish I was not such a greedy bastard and still had the knife to study the grind.

The second one that was made was not a Kramer profile,it was Scott's profile.Mine had only the first inch with any annoying flex.The grind/geometry on mine spot on. I wish I was not such a greedy bastard and still had the knife to study the grind.

I remember that knife. It was thinner than Scott's and much, much thinner than another Kramer I have seen and handled, distal taper drastically increasing from the middle of the blade to the tip.

I have the outline of Scott's Kramer profile if you want. Grind on Kramer you had was probably very similar to how you grind your knives.

M

Did you trace his first kramer or the second one?

I have both, the original Scott's and the modified Scott's. I will look for it and send it to you.

So reading both of your recent comments has me curious about the appeal of the Kramer knife balance. The one I tried was definitely a little flexy for my taste....IE quite tapered. By the same token, the handle seemed very large...larger than my taste but also larger than most. How does he keep the balance from being biased to the butt end...take material out of the tang?

I'd buy as many as I could afford and put em on eBay the next day....Ryan

Yup. I've no desire to own one. The reg profile gives me the shivers, that SAlty version was pretty sweet though.

There are other makers who are clearly just as good and a better value, but if given the chance, I would probably order one. It wouldn't be anything like he's made before though... I'd definitely have to dream up something crazy. The question wouldn't be if I'd order it, it would be how long I would keep it before selling it for enough to buy a custom from every other maker on my list.

So reading both of your recent comments has me curious about the appeal of the Kramer knife balance. The one I tried was definitely a little flexy for my taste....IE quite tapered. By the same token, the handle seemed very large...larger than my taste but also larger than most. How does he keep the balance from being biased to the butt end...take material out of the tang?

I think the reason you see these size handles on Kramer knives is that he tries to balance knives at the ferrule. I would bet that most people here use a pinch grip and prefer knives blade heavy (and handles tad smaller).

Latest posts

Back