Page 105 of 356 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 3555

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

mine just shipped. is three Heijis enough?

Possibly, but you can always add his SS KU damascus and single bevel ones to your collection.

i think next will be a yanagi, but not until next year (gotta get a new Shig, and a Mizuno honyaki first).

270mm Carter suji
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4030.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	15714  

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Did someone say Honyaki?

Now, if I wanted to keep the JKI tradition of fustrating teases going, that's all I'd post

But, I can't keep a secret:

Gesshin Ginga custom Honyaki Suji / Suji-yuto

white #2
    230mm custom profile and blade shape
    linen micarta "coke bottle" handle
    pinned boster (Jon says they these guys where the 1st to master that construction technique)

About a year in works, 11days shipping when USPS "lost track" of it for awhile, and I just unboxed it today and spent the past few hours cutting up everything I could get my hands on.

Full gallery (black background pics are from Jon):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1176006...eat=directlink

Video and review coming eventually....
    nice handle....looks like a cross between the Hattori forum knives and Phil Wilson's stuff.

AS some of you know I am a hopeless Japanese carbon steel junkie.When I saw the Yoshimitsu Tatara forged Tamahagane steel knives being folded many times & wt. clay forming a true Hamon on a PBS show.I researched these kitchen knives,the best price by far was in my own backyard at A-Frames.I bought a Aritsugu 270 Blue steel Yanagi fr. Takeshi about 5 yrs. ago.He was in Japan when I tried to contact him,when he came back,I checked the Yoshimitsu out & bought it.The brothers that forge the Tamahagane have many yrs. of skill & use the steel for high end limited production Kitchen knives.Most Tamahagane is used for swords,small amount for KIt. knives.

Some Veg. prep.using a razor sharp Tamahagane Yoshimitsu,I took it to a 8K edge & stropped it on leather.Brings out the true Hamon.Takeshi says this steel is in a class of it's own & has great edge holding.I paid 365.00 for it,admit I bought it because of the lore of the forging tech.,rareness,& the steel itself.The blade is very lite & flys thu food.I usually let my carbons patina,but this blade I wash & dry well & use my sword kit to polish it & use clove oil.

Here's the newest addition to my kitchen. My thinned Hiromoto 240 w/ etch.

It takes a superb edge and is nice an hefty feeling in the hand. Love it so far!

Did you thin & etch that yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i think next will be a yanagi, but not until next year (gotta get a new Shig, and a Mizuno honyaki first).
    Come over to the other single bevel side . . .
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Did you thin & etch that yourself?
    Yes I did. It is very rudimentary and will eventually be coming to you for a proper job once the funds are saved.