Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 143
Page 143 of 319 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 3181

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

What work was involved with 'functionalizing' the Hiromotos?

hello Benuser! except rounding properly heel and spine i thinned and convexed both (some friendly chef told me it was called a "zero grind") but more work was done on the 270mm gyuto (28g removed) as the poor "blade heavy" balance was painful to my wrist using it all day long... i polished them a bit as well to get rid of grind marks as i thinned using a 800 grit king stone.

Quote Originally Posted by 3200+++ View Post
    hello Benuser! except rounding properly heel and spine i thinned and convexed both (some friendly chef told me it was called a "zero grind") but more work was done on the 270mm gyuto (28g removed) as the poor "blade heavy" balance was painful to my wrist using it all day long... i polished them a bit as well to get rid of grind marks as i thinned using a 800 grit king stone.
    removing 28 grams with an 800, that's a lot...
    Have you noticed any difference with older batches?

it took a while, and the stone concaved a bit during the exercise so it felt pretty easy (about one hour spent). polishing by hand isn't (way more time spent)
    28grams is the total overall weight loss including rounding and knife polishing

to be honest i havent really tried these famous knives before recieving them. i held a honesuki and a smaller gyuto but didnt sharpen nor used em all day long like now.
    what i can say tho on these 2 is that the finish isn't very nice compared to hattori HD or misono. Balance is bad too (make bigger handles guys!). That being said the price is low and the steel is fine!

I wasn't so much worried about the stone, much more about you after this little exercise. After so much thinning on a large knife my shoulder feels like someone took it as a punching ball.
    Balance is a very individual question. I don't expect a new knife to have exactly the same balance point as what I'm used to, and would change it only when I can't get used to it, despite of some technique change as a very small grip forward move with a larger knife. But that's a highly individual choice.
    Enjoy your new knives!

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I wasn't so much worried about the stone, much more about you after this little exercise. After so much thinning on a large knife my shoulder feels like someone took it as a punching ball.
    Balance is a very individual question. I don't expect a new knife to have exactly the same balance point as what I'm used to, and would change it only when I can't get used to it, despite of some technique change as a very small grip forward move with a larger knife. But that's a highly individual choice.
    Enjoy your new knives!
    I agree in regards to the balance. I just spent the last week using Salty's old Masamoto KS that Jon tuned up. I'm not partial to lighter knives, but I wanted to give a KS a go. It was very awkward trying to find my comfort zone in terms of grip, for various cuts. Still not sure I really like the KS profile, but I'm gonna it give another couple weeks of prep to see if it grows on me.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Enjoy your new knives!
    thank you!

i pinched grip as far as i could but i couldn't make the knife feel right so i had to try removing material. the result improved cutting performance nicely too and im happy so far
    as you talk about hurting myself, i felt nothing special but normal muscular load, but during next mornings, my back hurted badly. didn t realize it could be this... i thought it was relative to my bike riding position

Believe me, it was the thinning!

My newest just came in at about noon, today. Unfortunately, I've hardly had a chance to use it, yet, but it seems really nice, and reminds me of a Davis knife that
    I fell in love with almost a year ago.

It's a 240 Tsourkan Gyuto, made of 52100. I got this puppy from turbochef422 (I think that's Nick's handle). It has a right handed d-handle, but that never bothers me to begin with. Then, I found out Marko puts a nice little taper on both sides of his d's, which makes this thing feel great, even for a lefty. Beautiful work, Marko. I think this one is a winner!

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Very nice.