Page 165 of 355 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 3545

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

this thread is officially killing me. Let me know if anyone doesn't like their 270 aebl. yeah right...

today I had a knife epiphany when my DT TIK AEBL 240 arrived. I'll give a little back story for perspective.

I've been seriously into knives and collecting them for about three years. Seems to coincide with finding this forum I'm a very productive and experimental home chef and in the quest to find the best cooking tools, knives naturally came into the picture. I’ve bought and sold maybe 50 quality knives, cut with many more, learned how to get scary sharp edges on the Edge Pro but have in the past year gained some confidence and competence in free hand--Again, thanks to the members on this forum. OK Back to the ITK.

I was lucky enough to get on Devin's last list and even though I really couldn't afford it, I couldn't let this chance get away. So I signed up and it arrived today.

First Impressions:
    It's a sizeable knife, Its 240 on the blade not 240 from handle to spine like my other Gyuto. that extra 1/2" plus at 52mm high at the heel, makes the knife seem huge. Its heavier than all my other knives by 50 grams too. (ITK ~230 grams)

You can see my modest collection that I love Laser style knives and Yusuke Sakai the most. My heaviest knife to date has been the Yusuke Sakai 240/210 Stainless special-thick spine customs its about 163grams, they're 2.8mm at the spine and have lovely tapers to the tip. Flat bellies and although the blade faces are asymmetric, there's some convexing with zero degree bevels.

After reading everything on the internet in searches on Devin Thomas DT ITK, I was thinking the blade profile was very close to my Yusuke's, the definitely are not. Devin's blade has less belly than the special order flat Yusuke. the ITK's bevel is also curves more gradual than the Yuke. But enough belly to be able to rock chop the knife when needed.

As you would have assumed the grind is wonderfully tapered in several different ways. the tip is thin thin without being flexible. I've only cut one onion but the steel feel harder, more dense than the Yusuke stainless.

I'm looking forward to making dinner with it tonight but so far this knife has really changed my view on what a great knife is.

Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  18.6 KBName:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  15.5 KBName:  photo_3.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  10.7 KBName:  photo_4.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  8.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Go cut some more onions MB! Congrats on the new knife. Have fun.

Wow you have some nice blades there Mucho,congrads on the new Devin Thomas

It's been a fantastic week for this guy. Thanks goes to Rick on the trade for this Del. Simply an amazing knife which just pisses me off that I waited This long to get my hands on one of his 240mm!

Next up is old with the new. The smaller of the 2 actually used to be a 240. Got it from a fellow member here earlier this year. Still cuts amazingly and really does make the perfect line knife. The second (larger) is 240 in AEB-L

I'm so jealous of you guys and your ITK's! Well played my friends, well played!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

AAAAHHH!!! all the ITK's !!! Devin e-mailed me last night to say I had one if I wanted it and you DO NOT turn him down when an e-mail like that comes. I put half down to keep the reservation now I cant wait for the damn thing to show up!!!! its gonna be an awesome self B-day present though. so excited!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hambone.johnson View Post
    AAAAHHH!!! all the ITK's !!! Devin e-mailed me last night to say I had one if I wanted it and you DO NOT turn him down when an e-mail like that comes. I put half down to keep the reservation now I cant wait for the damn thing to show up!!!! its gonna be an awesome self B-day present though. so excited!!!
    He did the same thing to me on Friday, just about 8hrs after I had ordered a 270 suji from Koki-san. I had the exact same response . Being the Gentleman that he is though, he agreed to hold it for me for a couple of paychecks. Sooo...I'm getting a Devin ITK

Be well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Congrats to all you guys!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    Next up is old with the new. The smaller of the 2 actually used to be a 240. Got it from a fellow member here earlier this year. Still cuts amazingly and really does make the perfect line knife. The second (larger) is 240 in AEB-L
    Marc,

Your "small" 240 didn't "used to be a 240". It is the size the original run of ITK's are. They ran short, around 230 on the edge, just as Japanese wa-gyutos do. The "240" is the measurement from the ferrule to the tip.

Just a bit of DT ITK trivia.

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”