Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 174
+ Reply to Thread
Page 174 of 282 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2814

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

V1P, That thing is so sharp, I think you actually cut the light in the last photo. LOL
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

There you go, it's another quick review of the ootb edge then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    V1P, That thing is so sharp, I think you actually cut the light in the last photo. LOL

Damn the finish on those kagekiyos is flippin sweet.

I like shiny stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by ar11 View Post
    Damn the finish on those kagekiyos is flippin sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Did you get Ginsanko or Aoko? I'm looking forward to sharpening these as much as I do to cuttin' some stuff!
    Aoko. Blue #1. Although it doesn't feel like any blue steel that I've used before. Hard and agressive, but shockingly tough and not glass-like at all.
    Everything about this knife is pretty absurd, but the tip is particularly insane. If it was paper, you could probably read through it.
    I really like the red&black handle on yours.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2881.jpg‎
Views:	31
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	19988  
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I am so glad to see lots if people finally getting these knives!!! The tip of the K shaped gyuto is amazing! I can't wait for everyone else's opinions on these. I would have done a wrote up but feel like other people should have them first so they can really understand!

-Chuck

Knife budget blown for the next eternity. Top to bottom, DT 270 ITK, Mario 270 gyutohiki, Carter 230ish Funayuki

Congrats to the proud new owners of all of these beautiful knives!

The Kagekiyo K-gyuto and Marko blades are particularly handsome.

ER - looking forward to hearing more about how you like you Kagekiyo's and which one you like better.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I've used both knives, and have a few notes. First off, I had not realized how much smaller these would be than my Heijis, and if I had known, I would have waited to buy 270s. That would have been a mistake, as these both feel great, in hand. I'm guessing these are from Sakai? I can't get the lacquer off. I tried my wife's nail polish remover and bar keeper's friend, and while there is less lacquer, I'm still not getting patina on the Aoko knife. I'll get some stronger stuff, and try again. The polish on the handles immediately gets hair-line scratches, just as you would expect it to. Not a big deal, and the matte finished sides should be fairly impervious. I think the lacquer will actually be quite attractive when it starts to wear away on the edges, from use. I sharpened both knives. They are some of the best feeling steel I've put to stones (used Chosera 1k and Gesshin 8k). I spent much longer trying to remove the lacquer than I did sharpening, it was very quick, and I was left with a wonderful edge, on both knives.

In use: The Ginsanko feels very delicate, but I decided to use it just as I would any other knife, and it isn't a delicate knife. In terms of cutting, they are amongst the best I've tried, but they didn't blow me away (a couple years ago, they would have). I would say that they are both a bit better entering a food item than a new Heiji, but a bit worse exiting said food item, so it's a bit of a wash. This bit better is acknowledging the weight difference, as Heijis are heavy enough to definitely help you out. If the Kageyikos were heavier, they would probably have more of an advantage than they do. The Ginsasnko tip is thicker than I think it should be, so I'll work that out the first time the knife really needs a sharpening, but it doesn't hamper fine work. The Aoko tip is Heiji thin, and becomes thinner much sooner. As pretty as the handles are, I may have them replaced with something more utilitarian, down the road. No grip problems so far, though, and they do feel excellent. I'm not used to knives quite this light, so I'm not super accurate with them yet, but I'll get there soon enough. All in all, I really like both, and I'm very glad I bought them. They are excellent and very different from my Heijis, which is exactly what they needed to be for me to use them regularly (I've owned plenty of knives that had the very different part down, but not the excellent part). I had been thinking about getting a high end 210 suji/petty, and I have no need for one now: the Ginsanko is much more usable than any 210 suji for most on board tasks, and is light and thin and handy enough to do the things that would make me want to grab a smaller knife.

Beautiful Kagekiyo's super jealous

+ Reply to Thread